Glenafton 2 Hurlford 2

Sat 8th December 2018 KO 1:45 pm West Region Premiership | Match 14

Loch Park, New Cumnock


Glenafton were still without top goalscorer Cris Dallas, captain Craig Menzies, Chris Cummins, Dale Moore and Connor Lynass leaving a bench of three of Alan Cairns, assistant manager Craig Potter and keeper Craig Burns.

Hurlford last visited Loch Park in the opening game of the season which ended in a 2-2 draw with the Glens winning the penalty shoot-out for the bonus point in the West  Regional Sectional Cup. They return today as league leaders with the outstanding record of 13 wins from 14 games, having lost only to Kilwinning Rangers.

Both sides made the most of the difficult conditions and keepers were on top as the chances came and went at both ends. Although the visitors enjoyed the lion’s share of these it was Hurlford’s keeper that pulled off the save of the half from a powerful angled shot from Joe Andrew. HT Glens 0 Hurlford 0

Hurlford broke the deadlock soon after the break. A quick throw from former Glens striker Michael Reilly caught the Glens on the back foot as the ball was quickly taken to the bye-lie and whipped to the near-post for the inrushing Ryan Caddis to guide the ball home. Reilly then played a defence splitting ball into the box to set up Caddis for what looked like a certain second only for keeper Brian McGarrity to pull off a great block and Kyle McAusland win the battle to snap up the rebound with brilliantly timed tackle deep in the box.

At the other end Dan Orsi’s drive to the bye-line ended with his cut back across goal almost inadvertently being turned into his own goal by defender Chris Robertson only for the keeper at full stretch getting a safe finger-tip to the ball.


Leon Murphy

The hosts drew level with a wonderfully worked goal. Darren McLean just inside his own half rolled a short pass forward for Mick McCann to clip the ball sideways to Findlay Frye who instantly threaded a forward ball through a number of defenders for Leon Murphy to chase down and gather at the edge of the box before firing a low angled shot that beat the outstretched arm of the keeper on its way into the net at the back post.

Murphy’s mazy run from deep in his own half ended with a crunching tackle 30 yards from goal and McAusland free-kick whizzing inches wide of the post.

Hurlford regained the lead with a stunning strike from Caddis after a throw-in from the left was cleared to the edge of the box where the ‘Ford stiker cracked an unstoppable shot beyond McGarrity.


Cameron Marlow

Both teams continued to attack and as the minutes ticked away it was the hosts that conjured up a late and deserved equaliser. A goal mouth scramble ended with the ball falling for Cammy Marlow a yard inside a packed box with the keeper bearing down on him. The Glens midfielder kept his cool to laser the ball past the hapless goalie and through a congregation of yellow shirts in the six yard box to spark off home celebrations as it re-emerged into view before bulging the net. FT Glens 2 Hurlford 2

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC 1. Brian McGarrity 2. Darren McLean (12. Alan Cairns) 3. Cameron Marlow 4. Kyle McAusland 5. Ryan McChesney 6. Ally Park 7. Dan Orsi 8. Findlay Frye 9. Mick McCann 10. Joe Andrew 11. Leon Murphy. Subs Not used 14. Craig Potter 17. Craig Burns (gk)

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.