Pollok 1 Glenafton 1

Sat 1st December 2018 KO 1:45pm 

Macron Sottish Junior Cup | 4th Round Replay

Loch Park, New Cumnock


Pollok win penalty shoot-out 3-0


There was little between Glenafton and Pollok in last week’s goalless draw in the Macron Scottish Junior Cup 4th round tie at Loch Park and so it proved today again in the replay at Newlandsfield.  With top goalscorer Chris Dallas and captain Craig Menzies still out through injury the Glens started with the same eleven. They started brightly enough without creating any clear-cut chances from either open play or the several set pieces earned from fouls committed by the home side on the outskirts of the box. However it was Pollok that opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a well-worked goal. Play was switched from left to right before Shaun Fraser played a one-two with Bryan Young in the box and after driving to the bye-line cut the ball across the face of goal for the incoming Stefan McCluskey to pick his spot from close range.


The home side spurred on by the opener looked the livelier going forward as the pressed for a second albeit without success. Indeed they had keeper Jordan Longmuir to thank for preserving their lead going into the break after he pushed Joe Andrew’s low drilled shot from 20 yards wide for a corner-kick via the outside of the post. HT Pollok 1 Glens 0


Although Lok were quick out the blocks after the restart and create a couple of half chances the Glens levelled the cup-tie on 51 minutes. Darren McLean, wide on the right, picked out Joe Andrew on the corner of the penalty box to roll the ball to Conor Lynass tucked tightly on the touchline where he whipped the ball deep into box for Leon Murphy to glance a header beyond the reach of keeper.

The Glens looked the more threatening of the sides for the remainder of the half with Findlay Frye going close and a shot from Murphy whizzing wide of the post. At the other end Danny Boyle’s header from a corner kick slipped inches wide of the target and the match ended in stalemate. FT Pollok 1 Glens 1


The penalty shoot-out was over in a flash as Jordan Longmuir emerged as the home hero saving the Glens first three penalties from Mick McCann, Dale Moore and Darren McLean while the home side despatched their three kicks to win 3-0.

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC: 1. Brian McGarrity 2. Darren McLean 3. Alan Cairns 4. Kyle McAusland 5. Ryan McChesney 6. Dale Moore 7. Conor Lynass (14. Dan Orsi) 8. Findlay Frye 9. Mick McCann 10. Joe Andrew 11. Leon Murphy.


More photos here

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.