Cumnock 1 Glenafton 1 (5-3p)

Macron Scottish Junior Cup | 2nd Round13/10/2021
KO 7:30 pm
Townhead Park, Cumnock
Cumnock Juniors (5-3 pens)1 (0)Frye
Glenafton Athletic1 (1)Murphy

With centre-back Ollie Rowe and striker Jordan Ryan unavailable for selection the Glens mad a couple of changes to the side that faced Cumbernauld at the week-end. Ross Fisher dropped back from the midfield to partner captain Craig Pettigrew at the heart of the defence while David Blyth took Fisher’s place. As cover for Ryan manager Mick McCann was on the bench.

Under the Townhead floodlights it was Glenafton that were first to shine. Gregor Fotheringham gathered the ball in the centre circle and clipped the perfect pass down the right wing for Leon Murphy to chase down and cut inside the full back at the corner of the penalty box to curl a glorious shot beyond keeper Adam Strain at full stretch and into the far corner of the net.

Leon Murphy

Aaron Miller, Sam McKee and Murphy then combined with some nifty footwork to set up the latter for a close range shot that was blocked by Strain. Down the left David Blyth drove to the bye-line before whipping the ball across the face of the goal for the incoming Murphy only for Alan Murdoch to clear.At the other end although Smart Osadolor won the ball in air he was penalised for fouling keeper Brian McGarrity before Adam Martin slammed the loose ball into the net.

Back came Glens as McKee weaved into the box to pick out Fotheringham only for the ball cleared before he could tee up a shot. Cumnock countered with a lightning quick break through the middle and into the box by Callan Veitch only for shot to be blocked by an outstretched leg of the outrushing McGarrity.  Miller nicked the ball from Findlay Frye deep in the Glens half and slipped it to Blyth to release McKee down the right and force his way into the box to fire a shot that was blocked and although his appeal that it struck a  Cumnock hand was ignored, he recovered the ball only fir his second shot to go wide of target. 

HT Cumnock 0 Glens 1

It was Cumnock that started the second half brightly and drew level on 48 minutes after Osadolor slipped a superb ball to twice former Glens player Findlay Frye and in flash lashed a low angled shot past McGarrity and into the net.

A minute later matters went from bad to worse for the New Cumnock side after Gregor Fotheringham earned a second yellow card for a pull a Jamie Wilson’s shirt.  Soon after Glens brought on Ryan McChesney for Ross Fisher who had to leave the field through injury (broken nose!).

The home side continued to press and on 63 minutes after Sam McKee was adjudged to have brought Osadolor down in the box.  Up stepped Frye but McGarrity was his match diving at full stretch to his left to hold the ball.  Glens broke down another attack in the box and Craig Pettigrew launched a long ball upfield where Murphy gathered and cut between two defenders in the box only for Strain to pull of a great point blank save. At the other end McGarrity denied Martin with a super save at the near post. Ten men Glens mopped up the Cumnock pressure to take the tie to penalty kicks.

FT Cumnock 1 Glens 1

The home side were 4 out 4 when Strain saved from McChesney and Osadolor made it 5-3 with the last kick.

Brian McGarrity, Sean Bennie, Alan Cairns, Ross Fisher (Ryan McChesney), Craig Pettigrew  David Blyth, Aaron Miller, Gregor Fotheringham, Mark Gilmour; Leon Murphy, Sam McKee. Subs: Darren Curtis, Scott Sherrie, Mick McCann, Scott Johnson (gk).
Adam Strain, Ruaridh McIntyre,  Darren McGill, Greg Ferry,  Alan Murdoch, Jamie Wilson, Owen Bell, Findlay Frye, Smart Osadolor, Callan Veitch, Adam Martin. Subs: Jamie Conn, Paul Smith, Liam Douglas, Ryan MacLean, Aidan Berry

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.