Glenafton 3 Kello 3 (aet 4-1 pens)

South Challenge Cup | 2nd Round16/10/2021
KO 200 pm
Loch Park, New Cumnock
Glenafton Athletic 2 (0) ; 3 (aet)Murphy 2, Sherrie
Kello Rovers2 (0) ; 3 (aet)Armour 3

Glenafton made three changes to the eleven that started against Cumnock on Wednesday evening with Scott Johnson, Ollie Rowe and Darren Curtis coming in for Brian McGarrity, Ross Fisher and Mark Gilmour.

Glens and Kello had faced each other at Loch Park in a pre-season friendly which the home side eventually edged 3-1 after the first half ended all square at a goal the piece.  The first half of today’s cup-tie also ended all square albeit goal-less mainly through three great saves by former Glenafton goalkeeper Ryan Dunsmuir in the Kello goal.

HT Glens 0 Kello 0

Glens broke the deadlock on the hour mark after Craig Pettigrew cut out a Kello cross into the box and the ball fell for Aaron Miller to drive to the half-way line before releasing Scott McKee down the left who left two Rovers in his wake before whipping the ball into the box which evaded four other Rovers before bouncing up for Leon Murphy to clip it past Dunsmuir at his near post from 10 yards out.

Leon Murphy

Just as he done in the aforementioned friendly, Mark Armour drew the sides level after gathering a loose ball on the right wing and breaking forward before playing a neat-one-two to pick up there return ball on the right-hand side of the box before lashing a vicious shot past Johnson at full stretch into the far corner of the net.

Mark Armour

On 75 minutes the home side edged ahead again after Alan Cairns slipped a ball to McKee wide on the left to float a cross into the box which clipped off the head of a defender only for the ball to cannon off the shin of another and Leon Murphy slam it home from 12 yards for his 10th goal of the season.

Just as he done in the aforementioned friendly, Mark Armour drew the sides level again; on 85 minutes from a well worked corner kick which saw the striker rush from the ‘D’ to the nearside of the six-yard box and hook the ball into the net with his back to goal.

FT Glens 2 Kello 2

Scott Sherrie

Glens took the lead for a third time in the first period of extra-time after substitute Calum Thomson won the ball in the centre circle sending the ball upfield where fellow sub Mick McCann laid it off with his chest to fellow sub Scott Sherrie on the right to break up the wing before cutting inside and lashing a low shot home from 20 yards out. Just as he done in the aforementioned friendly, Mark Armour drew the sides level again; in the last minute of extra-time.

AET Glens 3 Kello 3

The penalty shoot-out followed the same pattern of the game albeit briefly with Kello pegging back Glens to make it 1-1. However, although the home side continued to find the visitors were stalled after Scott Johnson pulled off back-back saves before the Glens made it 4-1 to progress to the 3rd round of the South Challenge Cup.

Scott Johnson

1. Scott Johnston 18. Sean Bennie 6. Craig Pettigrew 4. Ollie Rowe 3. Alan Cairns 5. Darren Curtis (12. Calum Thomson) 10. Gregor Fotheringham (17. Mick McCann) 11. David Blyth (16. Scott Sherrie) 8. Aaron Miller 7. Scott McKee 9. Leon Murphy
1. Ryan Dunsmuir 2. Chris Martin 3. Thomas Shirkie 4. Dylan Clark 5. Declan Hill 6. Aiden Lang 7. Lori Johnson 8. Paul Weir 9. Mark Armour 10. Ally Smith 11. Kieran Pagan Subs: 12. Robert Hampson 14. Ross Costello 15. Marcus Robertson 16. Josh Blackwood 17. Ewan Lawrie 18. Taylor Stewart

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.