Glenafton 2 Cumnock 1

  • Sat 24 AUG  2019 KO 2:00 pm
  • West Region Premiership| Match 06
  • Loch Park, New Cumnock
  • Glenafton Athletic 2 (0)
    • Andrew, McCann
  • Cumnock Juniors 1 (0)
    • Ramage

Prior to kick-off a minute’s silence in memory of Matt Spiers former Secretary of the Ayrshire and West Regions of Junior football, a true stalwart of the junior game.


Glens made one change to the side that kicked off at Hurlford mid-week with Cameron Marlow replacing the suspended Ryan McChesney. Both Dale Moore and Ryan Nisbet were unavailable for selection.

Although the Glens had concerns over Craig Burns who was unwell before kick-off the keeper dealt manfully with Cumnock’s early attacks by cleanly clutching Alan Miller’s low ball to the near post; comfortably collecting Chris Campbell’s effort from inside the box and then cut out another cross into the box from Miller.

Glens countered through Alan Cairns on the left floating a ball into the box where a Mick McCann header deflected off Stevie Crawford for a corner-kick which although won in the air by Alan Murdoch the ball fell for McCann only for his shot to loop over the bar.

On 8 minutes Craig Pettigrew cut-out another dangerous ball into the box from Miller on the left at the expense of a corner-kick which bounced in the heart of the box and into Kyle McAusland’s “bread basket” with Cumnock’s appeals for a hand-ball being waved away.


Criag Pettigrew and Kyle McAusland keep an eyo on Jordan Kemoe and Graeme Ramage

With a quarter of an hour gone Dan Orsi switched play from wide on the right to the lively Lee Galllacher on the left to gather the ball and return it to the far side of the six yard box where Orsi had now arrived  only for former Glens keeper Ally Semple to pull off a point blank save from his header.

Back came Cumnock and a passage of good build up play concluded with Jordan Kemoe killing the ball before slipping a perfect pass to match Miller’s run into the left-hand side of the box but his shot sailed well over the bar.

A 15-minute spell of play then followed where play ebbed from to end without either keeper being seriously tested as defences were well on top. Nevertheless, the runs of Glens’ Gallacher and Cumnock’s Campbell caught the eye.


Lee Gallacher on the move

On 33 minutes McCann and Gallacher played a neat one-two in and around the box before the former rolled the ball back to Cairns to whip the ball in the heart of the goalmouth only for Findlay Frye’s header to loop over the bar.

Five minutes from the break Cumnock broke down the left through Miller who slipped the ball to Conn in the “D” and from there to Kemoe to hold and pass to the incoming Campbell who cracked a ferocious shot from a tight angle that Burns leapt to brilliantly tip over the bar.  The corner kick that followed ended with Murdoch impeding Pettigrew in the six yard and a free-kick to the home side.


Craig Burns saves from Chris Campbell (out of shot)

In the final action of the half a Cumnock attack was mopped up in the box by Cameron Marlow who quickly found Orsi who then burst up the left before cutting infield and from 35 yards unleashed a thundering shot which Semple did well to stretch and take the sting out of it with both hands. With the keeper now on the ground the ball then struck the base of the post allowing Mick McCann to gather, but adjudged to have done so from an offside position.

HT Glens 0 Cumnock 0

The visitors were first to show in what proved to be a hectic half played at a high tempo on a hot afternoon. Conn won a corner kick on the right which was headed clear by McCann. Glens countered with Ally Park and Orsi combing down the right before the former hooked the ball high into the box where Frye headed it back to Marlow to thump a low shot from the edge of the “D” that was blocked by Murdoch while McCann’s attempt to fire home the rebound was also blocked before the loose ball fell for Frye only for his shot to sail over the bar.


Dan Orsi and Ally Park making progress down the right

Cumnock then won four corner-kicks in a three-minute spell without seriously threatening the Glens goal.  On 55 minutes the home side threatened through counter-attacking after Pettigrew cleared a corner and Frye knocked it on to Andrew whose overhead kick from the half-way line was snapped up by Frye to make a lung bursting run for the box where he squared it for the incoming Gallacher only for the back tracking Craig McLeish to make a last gap block. Cumnock scrambled the loose ball out the box which was snapped up by Park who squared to Marlow to instantly feed Andrew in the box with his back to goal and Paul Burns at his box who with his arms all over the Glens striker appeared to haul him to the ground, but play on said the referee much to the astonishment of the home side and their followers.


Paul Burns and Joe Andrew in the box

Glens dusted themselves down and responded in the best possible fashion. Yet another Cumnock corner-kick was the source of a Glens attack.  Pettigrew cleared it upfield to Marlow who then picked out Frye to make another break for the edge of box where he weaved inside Miller to progress to the penalty spot before shooting for goal and although Semple pulled off a fine save he could do nothing to stop Joe Andrew blasting home the rebound from 6 yards out. Glens up 1-0 on 57 minutes.


Joe Andrew makes it 1-0


The visitors fought back and enjoyed a good spell of pressure which inevitably included winning a couple of corner-kicks. On the hour mark from open play Kemoe showed good control before slipping the ball to Burns who struck the ball sweetly from the outskirts of the box only for his namesake keeper Craig Burns to leap and with an outstretched arm pull off a great save and push the ball over the bar.


Craig Burns saves from Paul Burns

The resulting corner was cleared but Cumnock continued to press and earned a free kick 10 yards inside the Glens half which was fired into the box and met by Paul Burns but his header slipped inches wide of the back post.

On 65 minutes Cumnock brought on Jordan Banks for Jordan Kemoe but it was Glens that were now on the front foot without however testing Semple. The visitors weathered the mini-storm and were still very much in the game but again the counter-attack proved to be their Achilles’ heel. Pettigrew robbed Banks of the ball at the left hand corner of the Glens penalty box before clipping a glorious forward pass to Gallacher in the centre circle where a Sweet Afton dummy left Burns for dead and the midfielder free to emerge from the other end of the centre circle before rolling a defence splitting perfectly weighted pass for Mick McCann bursting into the box and without having to break his stride clipped the ball over the advancing Semple into welcoming net. A glorious goal to double the Glens lead on 76 minutes.


Lee Gallacher sets Mick McCann free


Mick McCann beats advancing Ally Semple to make it 2-0


Cumnock looked crestfallen and the home side pressed for a third without any joy. On 84 minutes the visitors were handed a life-line. Although a free kick into the box saw McAusland win the aerial battle against Stephen McKenna the ball fell for Paul Burns who tried to pick out Miller on the right hand side of the box but before he could gather the ball he collapsed to the ground , apparently impeded by Mick McCann and the referee pointed to the spot. Graeme Ramage stepped up to take the kick and although Burns guessed correctly, he could do nothing to stop the well struck shot finding the bottom of his right-hand corner of the net.


Graeme Ramage pulls one back from the penalty spot

Play continued at a frantic pace with both sides venturing forward in search of a crucial goal. On 88 minutes Mill flashed a free kick from just outside the right-hand corner of the penalty box inches wide of the far post.  A minute later Conn gathered a throw-in on the right close to the corner flag and wriggled his way to the bye-line before whipping a wicked ball to the near post where Park and Banks both ended on the ground in their attempt to connect with the ball trapped between them keeper Burns was unable to recover it until Pettigrew arrived and along with the resurrected Park  blocked off the risen Banks allowing the keeper to safely smother the ball.


Craig Burns – got it!!

The visitors continued to press but Glens managed the three minutes of additional by ensuring the ball stayed in the Cumnock half.

FT Glens 2 Cumnock 1

Glenafton Athletic: 1. Craig Burns 2. Ally Park 3. Alan Cairns 4. Craig Pettigrew 5. Kyle McAusland 6. Findlay Frye 7. Dan Orsi 8. Cameron Marlow 9. Mick McCann 10. Joe Andrew 11. Lee Gallacher Subs not used 12. Craig Menzies 14. Edward Campbell 15. Craig Potter

Cumnock Juniors: 1. Ally Semple 2. Paul Burns 3. Stevie Crawford 4. Stephen McKenna 5. Alan Murdoch 6. Craig McLeish 7.Chris Campbell  8. Graeme Ramage 9. Jamie Conn 10. Jordan Kemoe (12. Jordan Banks) 11. Alan Miller

More photos here



This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.