Glenafton 2 Cumbernauld 2


  • Sat 06 JUL 2019
  • FRIENDLY | Maggie Buchan Memorial Shield
  • Loch Park, New Cumnock
    • McCann 2
    • McCabe, Hall



Glenafton hosted Championship side Cumbernauld United in the inaugural Maggie Buchan Memorial Shield pre-season friendly. Prior to kick-off Glens manager Craig McEwan and club captain unveiled Maggie’s memorial bench situated in front of the clubhouse in the presence of Maggie’s daughter Lorraine and other members of the family.

In the Glenafton line-up were defender Craig Pettigrew and midfielder Lee Gallacher two of their three summer signings. Keeper Brian McGarrity was also in the starting line-up having missed the closing games of last season through injury.  In the Cumbernauld line-up was former Glenafton youth midfielder Klark Thomson.

In the proverbial game of two halves Glens came out on top in the first half with a brace from Mick McCann. The first arrived on 17 minutes after Ally Park nicked the ball as United looked to break and rolled it upfield for Joe Andrew to gather at the right-hand corner of the penalty box to clip the ball into the goalmouth where Mick McCann nicked in front of the defender to guide the ball home from six yards out.


On 32 minutes Glens doubled their lead with a well worked goal. McCann killed a long clearance from McGarrity deep in the United half and squared the ball to Moore on his left. Head down the midfielder burst into the left hand side of the box, leaving one defender for dead while attracting the close attention another, before clipping a delightful ball over head of the keeper and a third defender at the near post for the unmarked McCann to ghost in at the back post to side foot the ball into the empty net.


HT Glens 2 Cumbernauld 0

Glens brought on Craig Burns for Brian McGarrity while Cumbernauld made four changes at the break with keeper Graeme Murphy replacing Darren Hill, Alan Benton for Jack Harrison, Paddy McCabe for John Cunningham and Cameron Taylor for David Mackay. And so, began the second half of the game of two halves!

Although Cumbernauld dictated play it would the 80th minute before their efforts were rewarded. Paul Callander won the ball in the centre circle before passing it to Chris Hall who then slid the ball to match Paddy McCabe’s run into the box who finished in style with a low angled shot into the net.


On 85 minutes however the visitors levelled the match after Benton whipped a wicked ball in from the right and Hall clipped it high over the head of the diving keeper and despite Menzie’s acrobatic attempt to clear the descending ball on the line, it nestled in the net.

FT Glens 2 Cumbernauld 2

Glens kicked off the penalty shoot-out with Marlow and McChesney scoring before keeper Murphy saved from Park. Cairns and Gallacher then scored for Glens to make it 4-4 leaving Cameron Taylor the chance to win it for Cumbernauld only to blast the ball over the bar. Pettigrew made it 5-4 for Glens and after some delay Paddy McCabe stepped up for United only for Burns to pull off a fine save.


Glens win 5-4 penalties.



Maggie’s grandson Liam Miller then presented the Maggie Buchan Memorial Shield to Craig McEwan and Craig Menzies.

More photos here


This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.