Glenafton 0 Clydebank 2

Sat 8th Sep 2018 KO 2:00pm 

McBookie West Region Premiership | Match 7

Loch Park, New Cumnock


Glenafton were delighted to announce the return of Dan Orsi to Loch Park after completing his signing from Kilsyth Rangers yesterday and the midfielder finds a place on the bench for today’s match against Clydebank.


Dan’s back

The home side were first to threaten as Joe Andrew’s low drive was pushed round the post by Marc Waters and the resulting corner-kick headed clear. Bankies responded through Cammy McClair who cut in from the left to crack a shot from the edge of the ‘D’ that cannoned of Glens captain Craig Menzies and the ball then glance of the bottom of the post before going out for a corner-kick which was headed well wide of target.

Another corner kick came and went for the Glens before on six minutes Chris Dallas took a sore one in the ribs during an aerial battle with centre back Jamie Darroch and had to the leave the field for treatment.


Dale Moore

The bounce of Waters’ long punt up the park deceived the Glens defence allowing Jordan Shelvey to lob the ball over the head of the outrushing McGarrity only for Menzies to keep his cool and head the ball wide of the gaping net. In keeping with the previous corner-kicks the keeper wasn’t tested.

Meanwhile top goalscorer Dallas failed to recover from his knock and on 12 minute he was replaced by Mick McCann.

Restored to 11 men the Glens began to get the better of the match in terms of pressing with their only reward another corner-kick which inevitably was cleared and although the ball was soon returned to the box it was cleanly picked out the air by the keeper.

Midway through the half the home side were reduced to 10 men on a permanent basis after Findlay Frye was shown a straight red card. The Glens midfielder, wide on the left near the half-way line, was fouled by Chris Dooley and before the whistle blew Frye had shrugged off the challenge determined to win the loose ball before Ross Alexander and in doing so caught the Bankies player high in the leg with his studs.


Joe Andrew and Jamie Darroch

The 10 men settled and were more than holding their own when they won another corner kick on 29 minutes. Although the Glens won the ball in the air it was Alexander that snapped up the loose ball and played a quick one-two before releasing Cammy McClair down the left with a perfectly weighted pass. In a mirror image of his first attack of the game he cut inside and curled a shot for the far post only for Menzies to block again but this time the ball rebounded to fall kindly for McClair. There was nothing lucky about his second bite at the cherry as the midfielder curled another shot as sweet as a nut that beat the airborne McGarrity at full stretch before bulging the net.  Clydebank 1-0 up with 30 minutes gone.


Cammy McClair’s shot finds the net

The tails of the Bankies were up as they pressed for a second and they came close on 40 minutes from the break through a long-range effort from full back Andy Paterson only for McGarrity to get down low and turn the ball round the post. As for the corner kick … needless to say!


Darren McLean’s free kick goes inches wide

Glens were still very much in the game without however creating any serious chances open play. A minute before break Andrew won a free-kick on the outskirts and although Darren McLean’s effort beat the wall and the keeper the ball whizzed inches wide of the post.

H/T Glens 0 Bankies 1

The visitors got off to the perfect start and doubled their lead within two minutes of the restart. Darroch from deep picked out Dooley on the right who curled a ball into the middle for the unmarked Nicky Little with space to kill the ball before turning drilling a low angle shot beyond the advancing McGarrity.


Nicky Little makes it 2-0

A Glens free-kick from close to the corner flag was headed out for a corner-kick by Little which in turn was headed clear by Michael McIndoe to set up a counter attack which ended with Little trying his luck from the edge of the box which MGarrity blocked before catching the loose ball.

Another Glens corner kick was cleared with the same outcome as the 11 man Bankies, enjoying a two goal lead, quickly broke upfield with some slick passing on an another counter attack.

Both teams made double substitutions with Bankies bringing on Sean Higgans and Del Hepburn for Jordan Shelvey and Chris Black. Five minutes later Conor Lynass and Dale Moore made way for Dan Orsi and Leon Murphy.


Leon Murphy on the ball

Midway through the half Bankies, building from the back, set up another attack that ended with Liam Rowan weaving past defenders before firing a shot that was well blocked by the keeper.

Murphy responded with a similar run that saw him edge his way into the Bankies’ box where a nudge in the back from Rowan literally put him off his stride.

With 15 minutes to go the visitors completed their substitutions with Jack McClair coming on for Little.

Murphy made another good run and his low angled shot had Waters diving low to his left to tip the ball past the post. The keeper then punched clear that corner that followed.

The last decent chance of the game fell to the visitors only for Menzies to mop up the danger with the keeper beaten.

FT Glens 0 Bankies 2

Glenafton Athletic: 1. Brian McGarrity 2. Darren McLean 3. Alan Cairns 4. Craig Menzies 5. Kyle McAusland 6. Findlay Frye 7. Conor Lynass (15. Dan Orsi) 8. Ally Park 9. Chris Dallas (12. Mick McCann) 10. Joe Andrew 11. Dale Moore (16. Leon Murphy). Subs not used: 14. Ryan McChesney 17.Craig Burns (gk)

Clydebank: 1. Marc Waters 14. Chris Dooley 3. Andy Paterson 5. Jamie Darroch 18. Michael McIndoe 7. Cameron McClair 17. Ross Alexander 15. Liam Rowan 16. Chris Black (11. Del Hepburn) 6. Nicky Little (7. Jack McLair) 19. Jordan Shelvey (8. Sean Higgans) Subs  20. Scott Morrison (gk) 21. Matthew McLean

more photos here


This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.