Glenafton 3 Hurlford 2

West of Scotland Super League Premier Division : Match 3

Saturday 12th September Loch Park , New Cumnock




Glenafton twice levelled through goals from Mick McCann and Daniel Orsi before Darren McGill’s thunderbolt completed the comeback to secure the points and seal the home side’s first league win of the season.

Darren's dazzler

Darren’s dazzler

Glenafton made two changes to the side that started last week in the draw at Peterhsill. In came Ally Park (returning from injury) and Darren MGill while Craig McGuffie and Craig Potter were on the bench. Visitors Hurlford, included former Glenfaton defender Richie McKillen, a summer signing from Linlithgow Rose.

Glens in a 4-4-2 formation, with Mick McCann and Joe Andrew leading the line, looked lively from the start however it was Hurlford that raced to an early lead on 8 minutes. A free kick from the left field was floated into the box where Chris Robertson won the aerial battle at the near post to get the slightest of touch to deflect the ball across the face of goal and in at the back post.

Chris Robertson's heads home the opener

Chris Robertson’s heads home the opener

The home side responded well and were enjoying a lot of the ball without however creating any clear cut chances. Indeed it was Hurlford that came close to doubling their lead on 17 minutes after David McClune appearing to line up to loft a free kick into the box but instead opting for a long range shot which was just wide of the junction of the post and bar.
Midway through the half another ‘Ford free-kick caused panic in the box after Martin Brown’s effort blasted off the Glens’ wall and the loose ball was fired back in by Ross Robertson only for this to be blocked by McChesney and as Kean pounced to try and convert this rebound in slid Park to send the ball across the face of goal to the back where Paul McKenzie’s effort was also blocked. United continued to press and a corner kick was only partially cleared before keeper Brian McGarrity and Craig Menzies combined on the line to deny Kean heading home from close range.

Back came Glens and McCann released Andrew for a diagonal run into the box with McKillen in pursuit, a cute flick took out the defender and found McGill who quickly gave Robertson the slip before squaring the ball for Dan Orsi in the box, but the ball didn’t fall kindly and the chance was gone. Hurlford replied with a long range effort from open play only for the alert M cGarrity to push McClune’s shot over the bar.

Ross Robertson and Ryan McChesney

Ross Robertson and Ryan McChesney

The home side finished the closing ten minutes of the half strongly. Orsi from wide on the right picked out Chris Malone in space at the back post who cut the ball back for McCann and his first-time shot was blocked by the outstretched leg of Chris Robertson before Alan Cairns’ effort to curl the loose ball home from 20 yards finish wide of target.

Malone then tried a low drilled shot from distance that was well held by Ally Brown. The keeper then beat McCann to the chase for a ball into the box after the Glens striker had left central defenders Roberson and McKillen in his wake. Soon after, McGill at the edge of the box slipped the ball between the same pair to Andrew with his back to goal and as he turned he was caught by Robertson and stumbled to the ground but appeals for a spot kick were forlorn. Brown then did well to clutch the ball from McCann’s head as the half drew to a close. HT Hurlford 1 Glenafton 0

The visitors kicked-off and quickly gave away possession with a careless pass that was intercepted by Andrew who quickly released Mick McCann and off the Glens striker charged forward into the box and as the keeper advanced to his six yard line picked his moment to coolly drill the ball into the net. Game all square on 46 minutes.

Mick McCann slots home the equaliser

Mick McCann slots home the equaliser

Five minutes later Jamie McGeoghegan’s through ball was gathered by Andrew on the edge of the ‘D’ where he turned McKillen before firing for goal and the shot deflected wide off the sole of the defender’s boot. The corner-kick from the left was partially cleared before Park and Orsi combined on the right to send the ball to the back post where Brown leapt to gather as McChesney threatened.

On 54 minutes Hurlford went back in front after McKenzie with no prospect of progressing into the box picked out Kean wide on the right hand side of the box who after a touch fired the ball across the face of goal missing shirts of both colours before arriving at the back post where Ross Robertson was on and to slam home, as home claims for off-side were dismissed.

Ross Robertson (obscured) scores at the back post

Ross Robertson (obscured) scores at the back post

The home side were soon back on the front foot with Orsi causing problems with his powerful runs down the right while a Cairns free-kick from the left had Brown juggling the ball before getting under control as McCann hoped to pick up the pieces. Glenafton continued to press and yet had to be wary of the less frequent ‘Ford attacks and midway through the half McGarrity did well to get down low and smother a low angled shot from McClune. At the other end Park and Orsi combined well down the right before Orsi pulled off a great save from Brown.

Enjoying a laugh!

Enjoying a laugh!

Glenafton brought on midfielder Craig McGuffie for defender Ally Park as they went in search of the equaliser. McGill cut inside from the left to leave Danny Mitchell stranded before Fraser Chisholm took the feet from the Glens midfielder to use up the last of his nine-lives and earn his second yellow card. The keeper made another fine save from the free kick but could do little to stop Dan Orsi bulleting home a header from the corner-kick that followed to level the match again on 75 minutes.

Glens celebrate Dan's header

Glens celebrate Dan’s header

Both sides created decent chances Hurlford through Ross Robertson at one end and Glenafton when Andrew’s touch from a throw in deep into the box edged inches wide of the far post.

On 80 minutes the home side took the lead in spectacular fashion. The industrious McCann won the ball in the middle of the park and rolled it back to Darren McGill in the centre circle in acres of space and with defenders backing forward the midfielder pushed forward before unleashing a thunderous shot from over 30 yards out that escaped the outstretched arms of the keeper and dipped just under the bar before bulging the net.

Darren's shot bulges the net

Darren’s shot bulges the net

Hurlford came within a whisker of drawing level within a minute only for Kean’s shot from a tight angle on the right side slipped wide of the far post. Both sides made changes with Darren McGill leaving to loud applause from the home support to be replaced by John Paul Boyle while the visitors brought on Ryan Borris for Paul Byrne and Ryan Donnelly for David McClune.  The home side were well in control and continued to attack down both flanks In the dying seconds Hurlford’s last chance ended with Robertson losing out to McGarrity. F/T Glenafton 3 Hurlford 2

Glenafton Athletic: 1. Brian McGarrity 2 Ally Park (15. Craig McGuffie) 3. Alan Cairns. 4. Ryan McChesney 5. Craig Menzies 6. Jamie McGeoghegan 7. Daniel Orsi 8. Chris Malone 9. Joe Andrew 10. Mick McCann 11. Darren McGill (12. John Paul Boyle) Subs 14. Chris Meikle 16 Craig Potter 17. David Buchanan (gk)

Hurlford United: 1. Ally Brown 2. Martin Brown 3. Paul Byrne 4. Richie McKillen 5. Chris Robertson 6. David McLune 7. Paul McKenzie 8. Danny Mitchell 9. Stewart Kean 10. Ross Robertson 11, Fraser Chisholm Subs. 12. Ryan Donnelly 14. Gus Cochrane 15. Ryan Borris 16. James Creaney 17. Iain Fisher

More photos here

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.