Clydebank 1 Glenafton 3

West Region Premier Division : Match 22
Satruday 17th May, Holm Park, Clydebank



Glenafton put thoughts of their forthcoming Scottish Junior Cup final appearance to complete their league campaign with a convincing 3-1 win at Clydebank .

The Bankies began brightly on the rain-soaked Holm Park and Alan Cairns had to be alert to make a fine block on Ciaran McElroy deep in the box. On 4 minutes the same player killed a long ball lofted into the box before turning and firing a shot wide of target. The visitors responded after defender Andy Paterson had painted himself in at the corner flag and was robbed off the ball by Alain Kinney who headed goal-ward before driving a low hard shot that was well held by keeper Liam Campbell.

On 11 minutes a Clydebank corner kick created a game of head tennis in the box before the ball fell kindly for Ross McPherson but the striker couldn’t fully connect and his weak shot was deflected wide. A long throw from the left was headed on by Ian Gold for McPherson at the back post only for Craig Menzies to win the aerial duel and head the ball to safety.

At the other end Kinney’s knock down was gathered by Michael Reilly who forced the ball back to Findlay Frye and his drive from the 18 yard line was deflected wide by Michael Morris. From the resultant corner-kick Campbell made a brave save at the near post as Reilly pressured.

Glenafton made the breakthrough on 26 minutes following a passage of fine passing play. Craig McEwan tight on the right touchline picked out Jamie McKernon in the centre circle who quickly rolled the ball forward to Kinney and after holding off defender Scott Walker returned it to McKernon . The Afton midfielder then split the Bankies defence with a perfectly timed pass issuing the ball deep into the box to be gathered by Darren McGill, after outpacing Andy Paterson, he struck a first time ball across the face of the goal for the in-rushing Cameron Marlow to slot home at the back post.

Cameron Marlow puts the Glens in front

Cameron Marlow puts the Glens in front

Within two minutes the home side were back on level terms. A long throw from the left flank was headed clear by the Glens defence and gathered by Tommy Martin and some determined running down the right took him past a couple of red shirts before firing the ball back into the box where it was killed dead by Jamie Campbell and then fed back to Ian Gold who from the corner of the box drilled a low hard daisy-cutter to beat keeper Brian McGarrity at his near post.

Jamie McKernon and Micheal Reilly team up

Jamie McKernon and Micheal Reilly team up

On 33 minutes the visitors won a free-kick on the outskirts of the box and although McKernon’s thunderbolt beat the wall Campbell, in difficult conditions, did well to save and hold the ball. Minutes before the break the midfielder then powered his way through the middle of the park only for shot form the edge of the box swerve well wide of target. McGill then tried his luck from 22 yards out but his left footed drive sailed over the bar. H/T Bankies 1 Glens 1

Within 30 seconds of the re-start Cairns, Reilly and Marlow combined well down the left before the latter lofted the ball to the back post where although Kinney won the aerial battle against Paterson his header went wide of target.

On 49 minutes the visitors regained their lead with some excellent build up play and quick-thinking. Jamie McGeoghegan picked out McEwan wide on the right on the half way who instantly dispatched the ball upfield where Kinney flicked it on for McGill on the overlap down the right touchline only for his run to end on the outskirts of the box after a foul by Paterson. As McGill set himself to take the kick , McEwan tapped the ball to McKernon who quickly clipped the ball into the box where Michael Reilly coolly wrong-footed Campbell on his line to guide his header home from 8 yards out.

Michael Reilly heads Glens ahead

Michael Reilly heads Glens ahead

Bankies tried to respond through Gold but pressure from Cairns allowed McGarrity to come from his line and grab the ball bravely at the feet of attacker and defender alike. On 57 minutes McEwan whipped the ball into a packed penalty box from wide on the right for McGill to trap before his close control shook off the attention of three defenders only to end with his angled shot going beyond Campbell’s far post.

The home side enjoyed some sustained pressure with three corner kicks in a row, which eventually fizzled out with that common sight of a short corner coming to nothing. MacPherson surrounded by defenders and with his back to goal still managed to engineer a shot, albeit it soared well over the bar.

Midway through the half Kinney cracked a shot from 30 yards which cannoned off the chest of the diving Campbell and Craig McCready was on hand to prevent Reilly from burying the rebound. Minutes later McElroy manufactured a way into the box only for his well struck shot to whizz wide of the far post.

On 72 minutes Craig McEwan pulled up and was replaced by Stevie Miller, with Southy leaving to a great reception from the travelling support. Tommy Martin made a terrific run from deep in his own half into the Glens box and retained the ball after it had bounced off the shins of two defenders before picking out Gold who in turn found McPherson but his shot failed to find its target.

Glenafton doubled their lead on 74 minutes with McGill again at the heart of it. McGeoghegan picked Macpherson’s pocket on the half way line and McKernon picked up the scraps before playing the ball forward to Kinney who squared it to McGill wide on the right flank. He drove up the right wing and with defender Paterson backing off as he entered the box he chipped a delightful ball to the back post where Cameron Marlow got between McCready and Campbell to tap the ball home.

Cammy clips home the Glens third goal

Cammy clips home the Glens third goal

Glenafton brought off Jamie McKernon to a rousing reception from the Afton followers and brought on Craig Brown, while soon after the home side replaced Craig McCready with Reece Pearson.

There were few clear cut chances in the closing stages with a Kinney header from a free-kick just off target while the Bankies conjured up a number of corners but couldn’t find the magic touch to finish them off. F/T Clydebank 1 Glenafton 3

Clydebank: L.Campbell; McCready (Pearson), Walker, Morris, Paterson; Gold, Martin Berry, McElroy, J.Campbell & Ross Macpherson

Glenafton Athletic: McGarrity; McEwan (Miller), McGeoghegan, Menzies, Cairns; McGill, Frye, McKernon (Brown), Marlow; Kinney & Reilly.

More photos here

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.