2011 Review September & October : Steady progress


The month began with the visit of newly promoted Thorniewood United for a league match at Loch Park.  Wood’s top goalscorer Stevie Mullen took only two minutes to add to his season’s tally and on 15 minutes Robert Allan fired home a fantastic free-kick to put the visitors in control, however several other chances went a-begging that possibly could have killed the game off.  Just after the hour mark Gareth Armstrong slotted home a spot-kick to put the Glens back in the game. With 10 minutes to go the home side were awarded another penalty but on this occasion keeper John Connolly denied Armstrong a double with a stunning save. However, Glens top goalscorer had the last say when he headed home a late equaliser.

Glens travelled to league leaders Ardrossan Winton Rovers and retuned with all three points in a seven goal thriller. Rovers took the lead twice in the first half only for Gareth Armstrong to draw the Glens level on both occasions, including one from the penalty spot. Gareth Campbell passed up a chance to put the visitors ahead before the break when his spot-kick crashed off the post.  The Glens took the lead after a fine passage of passing play was finished off by a stunning strike from Craig McEwan. The visitors doubled their lead when new signing Ian Cashmore (from Girvan) fired homed the Glens’ third penalty of the match.  Deep into injury time Stephen Reid pulled one back for the home side, but it was too late for a Rovers’ Return.

Leaving the Loch Park club were striker Jim Wilson who moved on to Whitletts Victoria and defender Cammy McKinnell who joined his home town team Troon, while the Glens signed midfielder Paul Murphy on a month’s loan from Stranraer.

Glenafton maintained their 100% away league record with a 1-0 win away at Hurlford United. Top goalscorer Gareth ‘Bo’ Armstrong bagged the vital goal in the first half and Ally Semple saved a last minute penalty from ‘Ford’s Robert McPhee.  The drama not yet over for in injury time Gareth Campbell received a second yellow card for late late early bath

The Glens finished the month in second place in the league, two points behind leaders Ardrossan with a game in hand.

Big Hand for Ally Semple after saving a last minute penalty


Although the Glens had won all three of their away league games they had drawn all of their home games and so when Shotts came calling there was a feeling of inevitably as the match ended all square. After a goal-less first half Gordon McKenna put the visitors ahead only for Gareth Armstrong to fire home the equaliser.

The following week Glenafton entertained Girvan and again the match was goal-less at the break. However a second half goal half blitz of three goals (Armstrong 2, Murphy) in 9 minutes put the Glens in control. Alan Love scored a late consolation for Girvan, but the points were safe and the unbeaten Glens recorded their first home league win of the season to go top of the league.

Craig Potter, Scott McQuade, Gareth Armstong and Stuart Peacock

A trip to Clydebank in the 1st Round of the West of Scotland Cup provided the Glens the opportunity to test themselves against Premier Division opposition. The First Division side started brightly and had their hosts on the back foot in the early stages only for the Bankies to come more into the game as the half progressed. The dynamic Stevie Dymock headed the home side ahead on 58 minutes but the Glens drew level four minutes later with a looping header from Gareth Armstrong. With 8 minutes to go the Glens won the tie with a stunning goal from Paul McKenzie, weaving his through the Bankies defence before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

Celebrations at Cup win over Clydebank

The trip to Rutheglen Glencairn in the league saw the Glens lose their 100% away league record  but maintain their unbeaten league record run in a goal-less draw. The home side were reduced to 10 men in the first half and keeper Allan Colquhoun saved a second half penalty from Gareth Armstrong, bring his terrific run of scoring in seven consecutive games to an end and yet his season’s tally stood at an impressive 12 goals in 12 appearances.

Although the Glens were drawn away to Newmains United in the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 2nd round the Central 2nd Division club agreed to swap the tie to Loch Park, with concerns of their pitch being playable. With Gareth Armstrong rested on the bench the Glens started the game with Ian Cashmore and Gareth Campbell up front. Cashy opened the scoring in the 5th minute and Lewis Sloan added a second some ninety-seconds later. To their credit Newmains knuckled down and kept the home side at bay until deep into the second half when a Craig McEwan free-kick put the home side three up. Gareth Campbell and Ian Cashmore completed the scoring with two late strikes.

Mud and Glory

The month drew at conclusion with Glenafton top of the league having collected 19 points from 9 games with Ardrossan two points behind having played two games less.

This entry was posted in GAFC Feature and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.