2011 Review November & December: Ready for the New Year


There were fireworks at Hamilton Park on the 5th November as Girvan banged in five goals to repeat the 5-0 drubbing they handed out to the Glens the season before. A first half double from former Arthurlie forward John Bradford had the home side going in 4-0 at the break. To add to the Glens’ woes top goalscorer Gareth Armstrong hobbled off injury. Bradford missed out on his hat-trick when he blazed a second half penalty over the bar but a minute later Sean McKenna fired in the fifth to complete the rout and bring to an end the Glens unbeaten league run.

Glenafton’s trip to Lanark saw former Glenafton striker Stuart Tullis give the Yowes the lead with a sensational strike just before the hour mark.  The home side passed up chances to kill off the game before the Glens grabbed an equaliser on 82 minutes when Paul McKenzie run in at the back post to slot home the ball whipped across the goalmouth by Craig Potter. The home side lost their discipline in the closing minutes and were reduced to 9 men, in between the ordering offs the Glens came close to nicking all three points but Gareth Campbell’s courageous header crashed off the post.

Craig Potter sets up the equaliser

Gareth Armstrong returned from injury to open the scoring in a 3-0 win over Kello Rovers in a friendly at Cumnock but failed a late fitness test before the league match against Cumbernauld United at Loch Park, as second top hosted second bottom in the league. Johnny Boyle headed home a corner kick in two minutes to put the visitors ahead. Glenafton responded well and on 18 minutes their pressure paid off when Gareth Campbell rifled home the equaliser. However, the home side couldn’t capitalise and Cumbernauld fought their way back into the game and took the lead when James Steele slotted home a controversial spot kick. After a spell of end to end play the game deteriorated and was littered with free-kicks with Cumbernauld looking comfortably in control of the match with a Paul McKenzie header that bounced of the bar the nearest the home side came to salvaging a point.

Cumbernauld clear Glenafton clear

The league malaise of having garnered two points from their last four games was put to one side as the Glens travelled to the Bridge of Don to face Hermes in the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 3rd Round.  The Glens gave a start to new signing John Paul Boyle from Arthurlie and he was instrumental in setting up Gareth Armstrong to head home the opener in 13 minutes. The home side levelled the tie on the hour mark when Craig Macklin slotted home a spot kick but three minutes later Steven Wilson put through his own goal to give the Glens the lead. Andy Bell and Paul Murphy added to the visitors tally to put the Glens in the hat for the 3rd round.  The match proved to be Lewis Sloan’s last for the club and he joined his home town team Dalbeattie Star.

Celebrations at Hermes

Three days later the Glens faced a strong Stranraer squad in a friendly at the Toryglen Regional Football Centre. In a hugely entertaining game the plastic pitch brought out the best in the Glens passing game and saw them runny out worthy 2-0 winners with goals from trialist John Dempster and Paul McKenzie.


Bad weather all but decimated the Junior card during December with only a handful of league and cup games going ahead. The Glens home league game against Hurlford United and the home West of Scotland Cup 2nd Round tie against Pollok were both victims of the call-offs.

A friendly match with Premier Division side Irvime Meadow XI ended in a 2-2 draw with Glenafton goals scored by Ian Cashmore and Gareth Campbell. Once again former St.Mirren, Stranraer, Cowdenbeath, Stenhousemuir and Cumnock striker John Dempster turned out for the Glens and signed for the club later that month.

The year drew to a close with Glenafton sitting third in the league with a record of PL12 W5 D5 L2 F22 A20 Pts20, two points behind league leaders Kilsyth Rangers, who have played a game less.

In the Cup competitions , the Glens topped the Ardagh Cup Section before going out to Girvan in the Quarter-Final after a penalty shoot-out and have progressed to the West of Scotland Cup 2nd Round where host Pollok and to the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 4th Round where they will travel to face Kilwinning Rangers.

Well done Glenafton, let’s push on in 2012.

This entry was posted in GAFC Feature and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.