Glenafton 2 Drumchapel 3

Saturday 04 Feb 2023 KO 1:30pm Loch Park, New Cumnock
Trade Radiators South Challenge Cup4th Round
Glenafton Athletic 2 (0)S. McKenzie, McKernon
Drumchapel United 3 (1)Deas, Finnegan, Winton

Glenafton made three changes to the eleven that started against Troon on Wednesday evening with Ollie Rowe, Leon Murphy and Hugh Kerr (injured) making way for Craig Pettigrew, Dean Currie and Michael Moffat.

In goal for Drumchapel United was Blair Lochhead, a member of the Glens treble winning squad of 2016/17.

This was the first meeting between Glenafton Athletic and Drumchapel United, the Glasgow side currently strongly challenging for promotion from the WOSL 1st Division.

There were few clear-cut chances for either side the best of which for the Glens was Paul Paton’s powerful shot from 22 yards that was well held by Blair Lochhead while at the other Ryan Deas, a playmaker with many Junior clubs, fired a shot from a similar distance that whizzed over the bar. However, it was Deas that broke the deadlock two minutes before the break after picking a short pass before driving forward to the edge of the box and lasering an unstoppable shot into the net; some 5 years after his last goal against for Glens while playing for Clydebank.

HT Glens 0 Drumchapel 1

Drumchapel doubled their lead on 50 minutes after Jamie Mills whipped in a great ball from wide the left deep into the goalmouth for Daniel Finnegan to rise and bullet a downward header into the net.

Glens made a double change with Ollie Rowe replacing Dean Currie and Sam McKee making way for Leon Murphy and then soon after brought on Dylan O’Kane for Michael Moffat.

Played raged back and forth with both sides searching for that next crucial goal and it came in the 79th minutes. Paton floated a free kick from wide on the left high into a packed box where Sean McKenzie leapt unchallenged to send a glancing header past the keeper.

However, within a minute Drumchapel restored their two goal cushion with a well worked goal. Keeper David Markey launched a long ball up the park which was duly returned to the Glens where it was gathered by Drumchapel and a perfectly weighted ball slipped into the box for Josh Winton to chase down and clip over the advancing Markey to make it 3-1 for the visitors.

Glens pulled one back on 88 minutes after Paton curled a free kick into the box and shirt-pull from a defender had the referee pointing to the spot and Jamie McKernon sent the keeper the wrong way from 12 yards.

The home side continued to press and although McKenzie beat the defender in a race to chase down a ball into the box and his shot rom a tight angle beat Lochhead the ball drifted inches wide of the back post. Soon after Scott McLean’s shot from inside the box was deflected wide for a corner from Lochhead pulled off a great save from Rowe’s powerful header to secure Drum’s passage into the 5th round.

In the closing encounters former Drumchapel player Michael McMullin was sent off.

FT Glenafton 2 Drumchapel 3

1. David Markey 3. Scott McLean 4. Craig Pettigrew (captain)  20. Dean Currie (22. Ollie Rowe) 35. Mick McMullin 10. Calvin Kemp 6. Jamie McKernon (captain) 8. Paul Paton 7. Sam McKee (11. Leon Murphy) 15. Michael Moffat (18. Dylan O’Kane) 16. Sean McKenzie Subs: 2. Adam Caldwell 14. Ryan Nisbet 19. Cameron McKenzie
This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.