Glenafton 0 Irvine Meadow 2

Saturday 22 Oct 2022 KO 2:00pm Loch Park, New Cumnock
PDM Buildbase WOSFL Premier LeagueMatch 08
Glenafton Athletic 0 (0)
Irvine Meadow XI 2(0)Boyd, Slooves

Glens made one change to the 11 that started against Lugar Boswell with Sean McKenzie replacing the suspended Paul Paton while the bench was depleted with only two substitutes. On the bench for Meadow was former Glenafton player Rhys Wallace.

A frantic first five minutes degan with Hugh Kerr getting on the end of a Leon Murphy cross only for his header to be held by keeper Marc Waters.  At the other end Calum Gow’s header from a free-kick into the box was initially cleared by Michael McMullin and the Glens defence stood firm as Meadow recovered the loose ball. It was Gow that then headed a Glens corner-kick clear and soon after another corner from the hosts was headed over the bar by Sean McKenzie.

Huh Kerr and Calum Gow

Meadow then enjoyed a good spell of possession and broke forward in numbers with slick movement and passing, albeit aided at times with Glens giving the ball away cheaply. Another Gow header from a free-kick dropped in the arms of keeper David Markey. A determined run from Connor Boyd ended with his shot being blocked in the box by Craig Pettigrew and Aldin El-Zubaidi. Gow’s near post header from a corner-kick was held by Markey. Another Meadow corner was headed clear and the loose ball clipped back into a crowded box which was cleared again by the Glens defence setting up a counter-attack by Sam McKee which ended with Gow and Brian Wharton combining to rob Kerr of the ball at the edge of the Meadow box.

Mid way through the half and played now ebbed back and forward with only a few chances on show. For Meadow Kyle Faulds cut in from the left to flash a shot wide of the post while at the other end McMullin made good progress down the left before whipping a great ball into the box which was intercepted by Gow, coolly heading the ball to Faulds on the bye-line to clear.

Play continued to rage back and forth and clear-cut chances continued to be thin on the ground. Jamie McKernon floated a free-kick into the Meadow box where Gow won the aerial battle with Hugh Kerr at the expense of a corner kick which was duly cleared. At the other end, 10 minutes from the break, Louis Kerr’s shot from open play flew high and wide of the target. Back came Glens and McKernon floated another free-kick from the centre-circle high and deep into a packed box only for Waters to rush from his line to leap and punch the ball clear as Hugh Kerr threatened.

Marc Waters punches clear

Meadow pegged the Glens back in their own half in the closing five minutes of the half. Boyd’s shot was blocked by El-Zubaidi and soon after Graham flashed a shot wide of target.

HT Glens 0 Meadow 0

A frantic start to the second half saw the hosts win two corner kicks through Hugh Kerr and McKee, both of which were headed clear, the first by Neil Slooves and the second by Gow. At the other end the visitors pressed and Graham was denied of a couple of attempts in the box by James Martin and Pettigrew while Glens counter-attacks fizzled out before the Meadow box would be breached.

On 52 minutes the Meadow broke the deadlock. Ross Urquhart headed the ball into the box for Graham to gather and although Pettigrew nicked the ball from his feet the alert Connor Boyd pounced on the loose ball and with quick feet stepped outside El-Zubaidi to make space to lash a low angled shot past Markey and into the net.

After kikc-off the visitors were immediately on the front foot with numbers in a busy box where Rowe and El-Zubaidi combined to rob Graham off the ball and McKernon clear it upfield only for Wharton to break up the counter-attack.

Soon after Wharton, from the centre circle, floated a free-kick high into the Glens box where an unmarked Neil Slooves drifted into a gaping hole in the Glens defence to side foot the ball on the drop from the six-yard line and although Markey got a touch, the ball finished in the back of the net. Meadow 2-0 up on 54 minutes.

Glens brought on Dylan O’Kane for Leon Murphy and later Meadow replaced Louis Kerr and Jamie Martin.

Play had resumed into a period of up and down the park with a couple of flash points here and there, but without any decent chances on show until the 70th minute. A ball clipped in from the tight on the right touchline took two Glens defenders out of play and somehow Urquhart contorted his body to fashion a powerful header from 6 yards out that crashed off the bar with Markey rooted to the spot. Soon after Rowe blocked a close range shot from Urquhart as Meadow piled on the pressure.

Ross Urquhart header

Glens made another change with James Martin making way for Cameron McKenzie while Meadow brought on Connor O’Donnell for Ross Urquhart.

The home side then enjoyed their best spell of the second half. Sean McKenzie won the ball in the centre circle and slipped it to Kerr who quickly fed McMullin wide on the left. From here he broke forward before drilling a low shot from 25 yards that Waters got down low to hold to his chest in the 6-yard box. Cameron McKenzie’s angled shot from the left-hand side of the box was deflected wide for a corner-kick which was won in the air by Rowe and the ball fell for McMullin but his shot was blocked in a busy box.

On 83 minutes Meadow won a free kick on the outskirts of the Glens box and McKernon had words with the referee which ended with a red card for the midfielder. Soon after another free-kick was floated into the box and Graham’s header flashed high and wide of target.

Dylan O’Kane

At the other end O’Kane whipped a ball into the box for the incoming Sean McKenzie & Kerr shadowed by Gow and Wullie Lyle but it was keeper Waters that clutched the ball cleanly.

Back came Meadow and Graham, managed to stay on his feet as he broke into the box but under pressure from Rowe his shot trundled into the arms of Markey.

In the closing minutes Cameron McKenzie clipped a ball into the box for Kerr to chase and although he beat Wharton to the ball, Waters rushed from his line to bravely dive at the feet of the Glens striker.

FT Glens 0 Meadow 2

1. David Markey 33. Aldin El-Zubaidi 4. Craig Pettigrew (capt.), 35. Michael McMullin 11. Leon Murphy (18. Dylan O’Kane)17. James Martin (19. Cameron McKenzie) 22. Oliver Rowe 6. Jamie McKernon 7. Sam McKee 9. Hugh Kerr 16. Sean McKenzie Sub. Not Used: 15. Ryan Nisbet
1. Marc Waters 2. Wullie Lyle 3. Paul Byrne 4. Brian Wharton 5. Calum Gow 6. Neil Slooves 7. Kyle Faulds 8. Ross Urquhart (16. Conor O’Donnell) 9. Callum Graham 10. Louis Kerr (12. Jamie Martin) 11. Connor Boyd 12. Jamie Martin 14. Jamie Whyte 15, Sam McCloy 16. Conor O’Donnell 17. Ross Smith 18. Rhys Wallace 21. Joshua Bysouth (gk)
Match Photos
Glenafton Athletic v Irvine Meadow XI
This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.