Glenafton 2 Darvel 2

Friday 07 Oct 2022 KO 7:30pm Loch Park, New Cumnock
PDM Buildbase WOSFL Premier LeagueMatch 07
Glenafton Athletic 2 (1)Kerr 2
Darvel 2 (2)McShane 2


An historic night for Glenafton Athletic with their first competitive match under the newly installed floodlights at Loch Park.

Switching on the lights are Andrew Hamilton of Halliday Lighting; Steven Kerr, Glenafton Development/Commercial Officer; Alan Cairns and Ian Young, Club President. (Photos Courtesy of Jon Haddow)

Before kick-off manager Ryan Stevenson and Steven Kerr posed Andrew Hamilton of Halliday Lighting.

Manager Ryan Stevenson and club secretary John Stewart posed with the Grozier and Wyllie families whom sponsored the match ball in memory of their late loved one Jack Grozier and Andrew Wyllie and prior to kick there was a minute’s applause in memory Jack, Andrew and Wullie Kelly.

Glenafton made two changes to the eleven that started against Beith Juniors last season. In came James Martin and midweek loan-signing Aldin El-Zubaidi from Kilwinning Rangers in place off Jamie McKernon and Dylan O’Kane. Our ‘Friday night under the lights’ opponents were last season’s champions and current leaders Darvel with former Glenafton manager Craig McEwan in the dug-out as assistant manager making his first return to Loch Park since his resignation back in October 2020.

Darvel kicked off and won an early corner that was headed clear the near post by Hugh Kerr while that other end Leon Murphy’s corner was punched clear at the near post by keeper Lyle Avci.

The home side opened the scoring in stunning style with flowing move from box-to-box. A Darvel break, down the left, was mopped up in the box by debutant Aldin El-Zubaidi as two blue shirts closed him down, he pinged a great ball forward for Calvin Kemp to chase down in the Glen’s side of the centre circle where he took a touch before picking out Sam McKee wider with a forward diagonal pass.  From here he cut inside and then threaded a superb reverse pass between Ross Meechan and Cameron Eadie deep into the box for the incoming Hugh Kerr with Andrew Stirling hot on his heels and although the Glens striker got his shot away the outrushing Avci made a brave block sending the ball high into the air and Kerr & Stirling tumbling to the ground. Chance gone? – no chance, Kerr kept his wits about him, picked himself up and met the ball on its descent to guide past the disoriented goalie and into the net. LIGHTS, KERR, ACTION! 1-0 Glens.

Play went back and forth with some fine moves from both sides.

Kemp and Leon Murphy combined to set up Kerr with another chance in the box only for Stirling to block his shot. Darvel countered with a slick passing moving which ended with keeper David Markey pulling off a great to push Lewis Morrison’s vicious shot round the post. The visitors played a short corner from the left to Ian McShane on the outskirts of the box who rifled a shot through a packed box and into the far corner of the net to level the match on 19 minutes.

Play continued to rage from end to end. Markey was forced into another great save pushing away McShane’s blistering free-kick from just shy of 30 yards.

On 38 minutes Kemp played a forward pass into Darvel’s half for McKee to gather and cut inside last man Daryll Meggatt only for the Glens man tumble to the ground and the referee show the bewildered Darvel centre-back a red card, followed swiftly by another for Darvel’s manager.

The ten men responded well pegging Glens back in the closing minutes of the half and indeed were rewarded on 45 minutes when McShane’s low driven free-kick from just out side the box when through legs in the wall to find the back of the net.

HT Glens 1 Darvel 2

The visitors were first to threaten after the break with Markey clawing a close-range header from Willie Robertson over the bar. At the other end a Glens corner was cleared out the box and the ball snapped up by Paul Paton to curl a cross to the back post where Kerr’s powerful angled header sneaked inches wide of the other post. Soon after Ollie Rowe’s glancing header from Paton’s floated free-kick whizzed wide of the post.

Back came Darvel and McShane had couple of free-kicks from dangerous positions only for the first to dip well over the bar and the other, a low drive that trundled wide of the post.

On the 65 minutes Paton from inside Darvel’s pinged the ball to Michael McMullin in space on the left from where he lofted a high ball into the box where Hugh Kerr on the corner of six yard box leapt high above a static defender to bullet a glancing header that beat the diving keeper on his line and into the net. Game all square.

Glens came close after Paton curled a free kick from the right-hand corner of the box into the goalmouth only for El-Zubaidi’s header to fly over the bar.

Both sides went all out for the winner but had to settle for a share of the points under the lights.

FT Glens 2 Darvel 2

Hugh Kerr
1. David Markey 22. Oliver Rowe 33. Aldin El-Zubaidi 4. Craig Pettigrew (capt.), 35. Michael McMullin 17. James Martin 8. Paul Paton 10. Calvin Kemp 11. Leon Murphy 7. Sam McKee (15. Ryan Nisbet) 9. Hugh Kerr (5. Dylan O’Kane) Subs. Not Used: 2. Adam Caldwell 4. David Blyth 12. Jordan Ross 16. Cameron McKenzie
21. Lyle Avci 2. Cameron Eadie 3. Jordan Allen 5. Darryll Meggatt 6. Ian McShane 8. Andrew Stirling 9. Allan McKenzie 14. Ross Meechan 15. Willie Robertson (11. Thomas Reilly) 20. Ross Caldwell 23. Lewis Morrison (18. Chris McGowan) Subs Not Used: 7. Darren Miller 12. Callum Scott 16. Craig Moore 19. Craig Truesdale
This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.