Hurlford 0 Glenafton 2

PDM Buildbase WOSFL | Match 2605/03/2022
KO 2:00 pm
Blair Park, Hurlford
Hurlford United0 (0)
Glenafton Athletic2 (0)Murphy (2)

On a glorious day at Blair Park a minute’s applause was held before kick-off in memory of 81 year old Jim Clark, a great servant to Hurlford United as both a supporter and on the committee.

Under the new management team of Ryan Stevenson and Mark Roberts the Glens made no changes to the eleven that started against Bonnyton last Saturday.

In a frantic opening few minutes the visitors were first to show through Sean Bennie’s long throw from near the corner flag that keeper Martin McDonald clutched cleanly at the post as Glens front men Hugh Kerr and Ryan Nisbet threatened.  Another long throw to the near post from Bennie saw Chris Robertson head it clear, back out to the touchline and Bennie duly whipped the ball to the back post where Leon Murphy’s header was mopped up. ‘Ford countered through former Glens player Paul McKenzie releasing Kris Kerr down the right and into the box before his low angled shot was held by keeper David Markey.

Play then went back & forth with neither box being breached before the hosts won a free-kick on 8 minutes which was floated into the six-yard box only for Chris Robertson’s close-range header to sneak inches wide of the post. Three minutes later Markey at full stretch turned a low diagonal shot from Jack Whittaker round the post and the corner-kick that followed was eventually cleared.

Glens were now being pegged back deep into their own half and a powerful run into a busy box by Whittaker was ended with a last-ditch perfectly timed tackle by Bennie before the trigger could be pulled.

captain Craig Pettigrew

Some respite for the visitors after James Martin won a free-kick wide on the right that was clipped into the box by Jamie McKernon where former ‘Ford favourite Ross Fisher leapt like a salmon only for his high looping header to dip over the bar.

Back came Hurlford and a cross from the left to the back was headed out by Craig Pettigrew as Marc McKenzie threatened, only for the ball to be retrieved by namesake Paul McKenzie on the outskirts of the box. Taz then cut back inside giving Alan Cairns the slip before trying to do the same to Pettigrew only for the Glens captain to clip his heels and the referee to point to the spot. Up stepped Marc McKenzie but was foiled by Markey who got down low to push the ball wide of target.

The visitors got a lift and began to push forward only to find Robertson and co-centre back Lewis Magee in determined mood to clear their lines. Back came Ford however and after some pressure won a corner kick on the right that was whipped into the six-yard box and although a quick dart from Taz got him to the ball his glancing header whizzed wide of the back post.

On 28 minutes Glens made the breakthrough in bizarre fashion. A long clearance down the right from Pettigrew saw Martin and Hugh Kerr put Ford defenders under pressure to win a corner kick. Leon Murphy drilled the ball low and hard to the near post where Kerr was being marked by Alex Bell, only for the ball to be missed both players and then deceive the luckless keeper McDonald who unfortunately turned the ball into his own net.

Glens were now the pressing team with lots of action in the Hurlford half and box. A McKernon free kick into a packed box led to the same player floating back-to-back corner kicks into the box and the home rear guard scramble them clear.  Another powerful run down the right touch-line by Martin earned a throw 8 yards from the bye-line that Bennie launched high into the six-yard box where McDonald showed strong hands to rise and clutch the ball above a clutch of players from both sides.

The visitors’ pressure paid off on 41 minutes.  Magee headed the ball upfield from his own half of the centre circle before Ollie Rowe’s powerful header sent the ball back downfield high over the defender’s head for Kerr to collect on the edge of the centre circle. McGee and Robertson gave chase without success as Kerr broke into the penalty box forcing keeper McDonald to rush from his line before taking the feet from the striker with an outstretched leg, earning him a yellow card and the Glens a penalty. Leon Murphy’s sweetly struck spot-kick sent the keeper the wrong way to double their lead.

In the remaining minutes of the half played raged back and forth at a pace with the best chance falling to the visitors after Magee clattered into Murphy a few yards outside the box who then dusted himself to take the free kick only for the Ford wall to do its job.

HT Hurlford 0 Glenafton 2

Glens started brightly with the running of Kerr and Nisbet keeping the Ford defence on their toes. However, it was the hosts that carved out the first chance of the half after Whittaker on the left cut inside only for his low angled shot to be blocked on the six-yard box by Pettigrew sending the ball into the ‘D’ where the inrushing Marc McKenzie cracked a low fizzer of a shot seemingly destined for the back of the net before Markey sprung into action to dive to his left and tip it round the post. Pettigrew won the aerial battle with Robertson to clear the corner-kick that followed.

Davidtips Marc McKenzie’s shot round the post.

On 52 minutes Hurlford made a double substitution with Josh Rennie replacing Lewis Magee and Kris Kerr making way for Will Graham.

Ford forced a couple of corner-kicks the latter of which saw Alex Bell’s header blocked in the six-yard box and an almighty scrambled ensued with bodies strewn in the goal mouth and although Whittaker managed to conjure up a shot at goal the ref spotted an infringement an awarded Glens a free kick. The tireless Nisbet’s run down the right won another Glens corner which McDonald plucked out the air at the back post.

On the hour mark Glens brought on Mark Gilmour for James Martin.

Play was again raging from end to end with the runs of Kerr and Nisbet continuing to be a thorn in Ford’s side. However clear-cut chances were thin on the ground the best of which was Marc McKenzie’s volley from the outskirts of the box that dipped into the safe hands of Markey.

On 70 minutes Hurlford replaced Alex Ball with Macauley Wilson.

Robertson and Kerr shook hands after an accidental clash of heads and soon after the Glens striker was felled by MacDonald’s clearance after he was forced to rush out his box to deal with a loose ball under pressure from Kerr.

Although chances continued to be in short supply the best of them continued to fall for the Ford. On 82 minutes Taz cut inside from the left and went down at the edge of the box from Bennie’s challenge. Although Whittaker superbly curled the free kick round the wall Markey was his match diving low to clutch it at the post and Marc McKenzie’s hope of pouncing on any spillage were forlorn. 

Soon after, Kerr unsurprisingly was floored by cramped and was replaced by Sam McKee.

Glens survived another goalmouth scramble after McKernon headed a Ford free-kick out from the six-yard box and the ball played back in for Marc McKenzie to fashion a shot at goal that was blocked.

The visitors managed the closing minutes of the match in their opponents’ half. Nisbet held off Graham to lob a great ball upfield and over the head of Roberston for McKee to chase down and although he got the jump on Cater Frew, keeper McDonald rushed out his box again to clear the danger. Gilmour and Murphy took the ball a walk down the right and left flanks respectively before the final whistle blew on 49 minutes.

Sam McKeeon the move

FT Hurlford 0 Glenafton 2

1. David Markey 2. Sean Bennie 4. Craig Pettigrew 5. Ross Fisher 3. Alan Cairns; 7. James Martin (14. Mark Gilmour) 6. Jamie McKernon 8. Ollie Rowe 11. Leon Murphy; 9. Hugh Kerr (15. Sam McKee), 10. Ryan Nisbet. Subs not used: 12. Calum Thomson 16. Darren Curtis 17. Fergus Dee 18. Cameron Marlow.
1. Martin McDonald 2. Chris McKnight 3. Sam Lidington 4. Lewis Magee (16. Josh Rennie) 5. Chris Robertson 6. Carter Frew 7. Paul McKenzie 8. Jack Whittaker 9. Alex Bell (12. Macauley Wilson) 10. Marc McKenzie 11. Kris Kerr (15. Will Graham) Subs not used: 14. Alexander McCow  21. Craig Burns
Match Photos
Hurlford United v Glenafton Athletic
This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.