Glenafton 2 Cambuslang 1

Sat 20th APR 2019 KO 2:00 pm  

Ardagh Group West of Scotland Cup | Quarter-final

Loch Park, New Cumnock

Glenafton Athletic 2 (2) Cambuslang Rangers 1 (1)

Glens were forced to make a couple of changes from the eleven that started in last Saturday’s victory over Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. Young keeper Craig Burns came in for Brian McGarrity who sustained a knee injury against the Rabs and Kyle McAusland replaced Craig Menzies who was unavailable for selection.  In other changes Ally Park and Mick McCann made way for Dale Moore and Mick McCann.

Although the sun was beating down on Loch Park the game took time to warm up in terms of goal mouth action.  On 10 minutes the Glens won the first of two back to back corners neither of which threatened the goal. In the same vein a few minutes later Cambuslang were awarded the first of two free kicks on the outskirts of the box both of which suffered from the same fate of their hosts corners.



The home side made the breakthrough on 17 minutes after Joe Andrew played a slick one-two with Kit Cummins down the right flank before breaking into the box and squaring the ball for the incoming Findlay Frye to take a touch before picking spot from seven yards out, giving keeper Chris Treacy no chance.


Findlay Frye opens the scoring

The keeper, once on Killie’s books, kept his cool to clear a ball being chased down by Andrew and then rushed to the edge of the box to gather a long ball played into a busy box by Kyle McAusland.

The visitors looked lively down both flanks the endeavour of attacking full back Zaki Djoudi down the right catching the eye and the combination of Connor Cowan and Craig McLeish causing problems down the left. Indeed, it was McLeish that drew the sides level on 28 minutes with a sweetly struck shot from the left-hand corner of the box that although Burns got both hands to the ball, it slipped through them and into the net.


Zaki Djoudi congratulates Craig McLeish on his equaliser

The Glens restored their lead three minutes later after Cummins was adjudged to have been brought down in the box by Zak Moynes and despite the Camby’s protest the referee pointed to the spot after which Findlay Frye converted from 12 yards with some aplomb.


Findlay restores Glens lead from the spot

As the heat intensified the chances dried and those of the half variety were dealt with comfortably by both goalies.

HT Glens 2 Cambuslang 1

The visitors were first to threaten after the break through Greg McEwan’s free kick from the left was floated to the back post where Simon Marriot headed it back across the face of goal for McLeish only for Leon Murphy to intercept and the danger was cleared.

At the other end Frye fired a low shot from 25 yards out through a ruck of players that Treacey did well to get down low and keep a hold of the ball.

On 55 minutes while preparing for a free-kick from the outskirts of the box Cambuslang replaced the industrious Djoudi with Ryan Mackey before Ryan Barrett drilled the kick into the Glens wall.


Kit Cummins on the ball

The home side began to take control with Frye and Dale Moore winning the majority of the midfield battles while Murphy’s mazy runs were now more a feature of the game. The visitors made a second change with Chris McNeil coming on for Greg McEwan.

Midway through the half Murphy curled a free kick from the corner of the box which was well held by Treacey. Glens continued to press and Andrew’s great touch in the box took two defenders out of play while picking out Davie Winters to run on and attempt to chip the keeper from 10 yards only for the ball to sail over the bar. Dan Orsi then clipped a great ball into the box for the unmarked Cummins but he mistimed his effort and the chance was gone.


Joe Andrews holds off Simon Marriot

With 15 minutes to go there was some respite for Rangers with a break that ended with a good ball into the box that Burns did well to punch from the head of Cowan and then recovered the loose ball. Back came Glens and after Murphy was floored the free kick into the box was killed brilliantly by Winters to set up a shot from 7 yards out but Treacy improvised to get a leg to the ball and clear the danger.


Davie Winters denied by Chris Treacy

On 78 minutes the Glens brought on Mick McCann for Andrew and two minutes later were forced into another substitution after a bad tackle on Murphy that saw the midfielder carried from the field to be replaced by assistant manager Craig Potter.

Glens continued to turn the screw ever mindful that only a goal separated the two sides. Frye slipped an inch perfect ball into the box for Moore to chase down and drill a low angled shot which the keeper held well at full stretch.


Dale Moore breaks forward

A series of glorious chances then passed the Glens bye in the closing three minutes and the time added on. Moore powered his way into the box and picked out the free Winters with a peach of a pass but the outrushing keeper forced him to fire over the bar from six yards out. Moore then wrong footed centre back Andy McQuade to skip into the box and drive for the bye-line before squaring the ball across the face of goal which went through the keepers legs and fell for Cummins at the back post only for the big striker to meet the bouncing ball with a poor touch to send it over the bar from to yards. On 93 minutes McCann was presented with a free run into the box but Treacy kept his cool to snatch the ball from his feet.

The Glens put safety first and brought added time to conclusion with back to back short corners.



FT Glens 2 Cambuslang 1

Glenafton Athletic: 1.Craig Burns 2. Dan Orsi 3. Alan Cairns 4. Kyle McAusland 5. Ryan McChesney 6. Findlay Frye 7. Kit Cummins 8. Dale Moore 9.  Davie Winters 10. Joe Andrew (12. Mick McCann) 11. Leon Murphy (16. Craig Potter)

Cambuslang Rangers: Chris Treacy 2. Zaki Djoudi (12. Ryan Mackey) 3. Zak Moynes 4. Andy McQuade 5. Simon Marriot 6. Jordan McIntosh 7. Daniel Drummond 8. Greg McEwan (15. Chris McNeil) 9. Ryan Barrett (14.Alan Christie) 10. Craig McLeish 11. Connor Cowan  Subs: 16. William McElholm 18. Scott Faulds

More photos here

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.