Glenafton 4 Threave 0


  • William Hill Scottish Cup
  • Round 1
  • Loch Park, New Cumnock
  • Saturday 23rd September 2017
    • Mick McCann (2), Joe Andrew, Dale Moore


Having accounted for Newton Stewart and then Golspie Sutherland in the preliminary rounds of the William Hill Scottish Cup Glenafton welcomed Threave Rovers to Loch Park in the so-called 1st round ‘proper’ of the competition. There was an extra special welcome for Rovers’ centre back Liam Patterson who had played with the Glens team in 2005/06 that won the Ayrshire League Cup and West of Scotland Cup and was recently rewarded with a testimonial match after 10 seasons with the Castle Douglas side.

Unavailable for Glenafton were top goalscorer Chris Dallas (with six goals in the preliminary rounds) and midfielders David Gray and Cameron Marlow.

The hosts were first to show when Jamie McKernon’s free-kick into the box was partially cleared and the ball fell for Dale Moore on the edge of the box to fire a shot that slipped wide of the post.  Soon after Kyle McAusland, wide on the right, played a slick one-two with Joe Andrew before driving for the bye-line and clipping the ball across the face of goal only for keeper Jake Gemmell to get the slightest of touches to prevent the ball reaching target Dale Moore waiting to head home at the back post.  McAusland and Andrew combined again to set up a Conor Lynass shot that was well held by the keeper.

Glenafton (Blue) v Threave Rovers - Glenafton Score

Mick McCann celebrates the opener (photo courtesy of Frank Cassidy)

Glens made the breakthrough on 9 minutes ironically after Threave had settled into the match and had begun to stroke the ball about the park.  Six or seven passes were strung together by the visitors before an under-hit pass was intercepted by Mick McCann who slipped the ball to Joe Andrew in the right-hand corner of the penalty box. The striker quickly cut the ball back to Ally Park who skipped past two defenders before picking out McCann’s run finished off the move with a low drilled shot that found the net beyond the reach of the outstretched arms of Gemmell.

Rovers tried to respond through top goalscorer Roman Soltys. Running on to a through ball he held off centre back Ryan McChesney to forge his way to the edge of the box only for his shot at goal to be comfortably held by keeper Brian McGarrity.

Back came Glenafton with a fine move involving both full-backs and both strikers. It began wide on the left with Alan Cairns crossing the ball to the back post where Andrew gathered and fed McAusland on the right to chip the ball into the goal mouth where McCann’s header from 8 yards appeared net-bound only for the gallant Gemmell to pull off a stunning save. The keeper foiled another McCann header with a strong one-handed save after the striker’s late run to the edge of the six-yard box to connect with McKernon’s corner-kick. A hat-trick of saves soon followed with Gemmell cleanly clutching McCann’s looping header.

Glenafton (Blue) v Threave Rovers

Liam Patterson closes in on Joe Andrew (photo courtesy of Frank Cassidy)

Undeterred McCann’s efforts were finally rewarded and on 36 minutes he doubled his and the Glens tally.  McKernon snapped up a clearance on the half way line and drove forward before picking out McCann on the edge of the ‘d’ who squared to Lynass at the far corner of the box who took a touch before whipping a low ball into the heart of the goalmouth for McCann to slide in and guide the ball past the helpless keeper.

Glenafton (Blue) v Threave Rovers

Jamie McKernon in control (photo courtesy Frank Cassidy)

McCann and Moore then combined to take the ball deep into the penalty box and with the hat-trick on the cards the striker miscued his shot from the edge of the six-yard box. Moore then picked up a pass from Andrew before advancing to the left-hand corner of the six yard box and although his shot beat the keeper the ball dipped over the bar.

HT Glens 2 Threave 0

The visitors enjoyed an encouraging start to the second half. A corner kicked was cleared and the ball gathered up by player-manager Scott Wilby just inside the Glen half. After pushing forward, he did well to get his shot on target from all of 35 yards which took a bounce in the box off the wet surface before McGarrity got down to hold it cleanly. Struan Parker floated a free kick from the middle of the park into a busy box where Soltys was first to react and with a fantastic touch guided the ball goalward only for it to bounce off the chest of McGarrity and the loose ball instantly cleared behind by captain Craig Menzies; the resulting corner coming to nothing. A long kick upfield by keeper Gemmell was killed on the chest by Soltys at the edge of the box and the played back to Parker who launched a daisy-cutter from 30 yards that whizzed inches wide of the post.

Glenafton v Threave 08.jpg

Captain Craig Menzies holds off Rovers (photo courtesy Frank Cassidy)

On the hour mark however Threave fell further behind after some customary play from Joe Andrew. McGarrity’s goal kick was headed on my McCann and gathered by Andrew with his back to goal and with Bryce Wilson for company. He deftly turned the big defender before driving for the box with Wilson giving chase and 20 yards out unleashed a left footed-shot that bounced on the six yard line and over the diving keeper.

Glens continued to press and Moore set up Lynass with a close-range header that was well held by the keeper. Lynass returned the favour and after a mazy run from the right flank to the far side of the penalty box he took out four defenders with a killer pass that was cutely controlled by Moore before he thumped a low angled shot from 10 yards that was brilliantly blocked by the feet of Gemmell.

Glenafton v Threave 07.jpg

Dale Moore on the ball (photo courtesy Frank Cassidy)

Rovers responded through Dan Thom who picked out substitute Ben Irving wide on the left and although his cross into the box was met by a powerful downward header from Soltys the ball cannoned off the feet of Ryan McChesney deep in the six yard box and was mopped up by McGarrity.

Another upfield clearance by McGarrity was headed on by McCann, gathered by Andrew who quickly dispatched the ball to Lynass whose quick feet left the Rovers defence mesmerised before digging out a shot from the 18 yard line that was plucked out the air by Gemmell.

Glenafton (Blue) v Threave Rovers

Joe Andrew on the ball (photo courtesy of Frank Cassidy)

Ten minutes from time Glenafton completed the scoring. McAusland stormed down the right-wing and whipped the ball into the box for incoming substitute Ryan Borris only for Wilson to get a clearing header. The ball fell for Dale Moore struck the ball sweetly on the drop with his left foot from the edge of the box and although Gemmell blocked it he could do nothing to stop the Glens midfielder stroke the loose ball home with his right foot.

Further half chances fell for both sides through shots from Lynass and Soltys before the final whistle and Glenafton’s progress to the William Hill Scottish Cup 3rd Round where later in the afternoon they were drawn away from home to face Highland League side Deveronvale.

Full Time Glenafton 4 Threave 0

Glenafton Athletic: 1. Brian Mcgarrity 2. Kyle McAusland 3. Alan Cairns 4. Craig Menzies 5. Ryan McChesney 6. Jamie McKernon 7. Conor Lynass 8. Ally Park 9. Mick McCann 10. Joe Andrew 11. Dale Moore Subs used Iain McKnight , Ryan Borris. Subs not used: Darren McGill, Cameron Marlow, Scott Watson (gk)

Threave Rovers: 1. Jake Gemmell 2. Scott Wilby 3. Andy Forsyth 4. Bryce Wilson 5. Liam Patterson 6. Struan Parker 7. Steven Couper 8. Jack McMurdo 9. Roman Soltys 10. Dan Thom 11. Connor Jamieson.  Subs 12. Ben Irving 13. Kenny Shanks 14. Connor Liddell 15.  Craig McKeand 16. Ross Gray 17. Ryan Nish 18. Craig Wilson

A big thank you to Frank Cassidy Senior Reporter with Ayrshire Weekly Press for use of the photographs

BBC Sport Scotland at Loch Park, New Cumnock

A big thank you to Kenny Crawford and the BBC Sport Scotland team for a collection of memorable videos of Glenafton’s first appearance in the 1st Round of the Scottish Cup.

Kenny on tour with Southy

Kenny Meets Glens

Kenny meets Threave

Kenny meets Nodder Kirkpatrick

Kenny after-match interview with Southy

Kenny meets Glenafton Goalscorers

Kenny and Iain McKnight

Alan Cairns – “Talbot Slayer”



BBC Scotland highlights of William Hill Scottish Cup 1st Round


  • Glenafton v Threave at 10mins 25 secs.






This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.