Glenafton 3 Broxburn 1

ETHX Energy Scottish Junior Cup 1st Round replay

Saturday 1st October 2016, LochPark, New Cumnock



The visitors were forced to make an early change after keeper Connor Wallace picked up an injury after 10 minutes and was replaced by young goalie Shaun Donoghue. Both sides created a number of chances with the Glens perhaps creating the best of these on offer, without however finding the net before the half ended goal-less.

It was Broxburn, as they had at home, that broke the deadlock three minutes after the break. Glens lost possession in the middle of the park and the ball  quickly despatched down the right flank for Ross Nimmo to gather and break into the box before picking out the incoming Scott McNaughton in the far side of the box who took a touch or two before composing himself before curling a peach of shot over a clump of defenders and into the top corner of the net. Deja vu and David Gray struck again six minutes later as the ‘No.6’, as he had at Broxburn, drew the sides level with a trademark free-kick; this one perhaps the pick of the two with the powerful strike from 28 yards out flying over the wall before violently dipping into the top corner with the keeper at full stretch.


David Gray

Broxburn responded well and came close on a couple of occasions to restoring only to be denied by keeper Brian McGarrity with a save low at his near post and then later a goal-line clearance. Glens fought back and Donoghue made a good save from substitute Mick McCann’s flying header but could little to stop the striker putting the home side in front. A long ball lofted into the box saw Joe Andrew get the better of three defenders to fashion a backward header into the path of the inrushing Mick McCann and after allowing the ball to bounce once before guiding past the advancing keeper on 82 minutes.

Five minutes later and the Glens sealed their passage to the second round after captain Craig Menzies broke down a Broxburn attack just inside his own half and set of on his own Great Scottish Run with Joe Andrew for company but with the keeper and two defenders closing in at the corner of six yard box, he stopped in his tracks and rolled the ball back to Cameron Marlow to drill a low shot home from 18 yards out; the impressive Zee still having the puff to partake in the celebrations. The visitors ended the match with 10 men after Nimmo earned a second yellow card.

Later that day received a home draw in the second round and will host Livingston United.

Glenafton Athletic: 1. Brian McGarrity 2. Kyle McAusland 3. Cameron Marlow 4. Craig Menzies 6. David Gray 7. Dan Orsi  (15. Andrew Hunter) 8. Alan Cairns 9. Chris Dallas (12. Mick McCann) 10. Joe Andrew (14. Ryan Borris) 11. Conor Lynass Subs 12. Chris Meikle GK Blair Lochhead

Broxburn Athletic: 1. Connor Wallace (GK Shaun Donoghue) 2. Michael Browne 3. Mark Mambya , 4. Darren Cole 5. Marcus Miller 6. Nicholas Locke 7. Ross Nimmo  8. Michael Linton 9. Scott McNaughton 10. Scott Richards 11. Keiran Anderson Subs 15. Ross Donnelly , Lewis Cole, Nathan Donnelly Kay, Craig Scott

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.