Glenafton 5 Kilbirnie 0

Stagecoach Western Super League Premier Division : Match 6

  • Saturday 1st November, Loch Park, New Cumnock



Squad: Craig Menzies

Craig Menzies

Glens welcomed back club captain Craig Menzies (to the starting eleven following his return from injury with Dan Orsi moving forward to right midfield to replace the rested Mick Wardrope. Kilbirnie’s new signing and ex Cumnock striker Richie Barr could only settle for a place on the bench for the visitors. Glens went into the match on the back of a four game winning run, and having already defeated Kilbirnie earlier on in the season; in the semi final of the Ardagh Glass Cup.

Aaron Connolly

Aaron Connolly

The home side started brightly and opened the scoring after only three minutes through striker Aaron Connolly. Following a neat one -two in the centre of the pitch involving Adam Strachan and Jamie McKernon, Strachan then released Alain Kinney whose weak shot was fumbled by ex Glens keeper Chris Fahey into the path of Connolly who made no mistake with a close range finish.

In a lively opening to the match, Kilbirnie almost equalised shortly afterwards after a mishit cross ended up striking the crossbar. Glens keeper Brian McGarrity was then forced to make a double save as Kilbirnie threatened once more.

Glens left midfielder Adam Strachan was causing all sorts of problems for the visitors going past defenders at will at times. It was from a foul of him that Glens almost doubled their advantage. From the resulting free kick, McKernon picked out Daniel Orsi who had a free header however his header drifted narrowly wide.

Ex Kilbirnie striker Alain Kinney was then unlucky not to score against his old side. Good pressing from the home team resulted in a misplaced pass by the Kilbirnie defender with the ball falling to Connolly who picked out his strike partner Kinney with a fine floated cross, however his looping close range header was well saved by Fahey

Kilbirnie continued to look dangerous and they created a few great chances shortly before the interval. Following a neat move, McGarrity was forced into making a fine stop with his legs from a close range effort. Shortly afterwards,  a slack pass by Strachan created an opening for Kilbirnie and with the chipped finish going over McGarrity, Glens defender Ryan McChesney made a vital goal-line clearance to head the ball over the bar to ensure that the Glens went in front at the interval. H/T Glens 1 Kilbirnie 0

Squad: Daniel Orsi

Daniel Orsi

Glens doubled their lead at the start of the 2nd half through the energetic Daniel Orsi. A neat pass by McKernon released Orsi on the right hand side, after driving forward with the ball, he cut inside the defender and from the edge of the box unleashed a powerful shot with his weaker left foot to give the goalkeeper no chance, a superb finish.

The game was soon over as a contest following a devastating passage of play for the visitors which saw them reduced to ten men and fall three goals behind. Following a neat move involving Connolly, McKernon

Alain Kinney

Alain Kinney

and Strachan, the well placed Strachan cut the ball back for Kinney and as the striker attempted to round the goalkeeper he was clearly brought down by Fahey who was shown a straight red card, much of the delight of the home fans to compound a miserable afternoon for the visiting goalkeeper. Kilbirnie had no goalkeeper on the bench, which meant that striker Ian Diack had to go between the posts. Kinney made no mistake from the spot-kick sending Diack the wrong way.

Adam Strachan

Adam Strachan

Adam Strachan was to make it four shortly afterwards following one of his trademark mazy runs. Collecting the ball on the left hand side, he cut infield, dribbled past two Kilbirnie players before rifling the ball past the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.

Although the game was finished as a contest, Kilbirnie continued to push forward, and from a breakaway they were unlucky not to grab a consolation as the sub striker shot against McGarritys near hand post.

The game became less of a spectacle towards the end of the match with the Glens happy to retain possession as Kilbirnie defended in numbers to prevent any further scoring. A good afternoon for the home side was complete as Adam Strachan scored his second of the afternoon to put the icing on top of the cake. A long through ball was dummied by Kinney which was well anticipated by Strachan and he finished coolly, drilling the ball past Diack at his near post to make it 5-0.

Glens next game will see them travel to Portland Park when they visit Troon as they look to continue this impressive winning run.

Glenafton Athletic : McGarrity, Menzies (Reilly), Cairns, McChesney, Mcgeoghegan, Orsi, Strachan, Marlow (Mcgill), McKernon, Kinney, Connolly (Walker)

  • Thank you to STEVEN KERR for the match report
This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.