2011 Review July and August: A Promising Start


New faces continued to arrive at Loch Park with the signing of Craig Potter (Dalry), Lewis Sloan (Stenhousemuir), Kris Mitchell (Kilwinining Rangers), Gareth Campbell (Cumnock Juniors) and young New Cumnock goalkeeper Ryan Dunsmuir (Cumnock Juniors U16s). Meanwhile Loch Park leavers were Paul McInnes (Kilbirnie Ladeside) and Kevin McBride (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy).

Pre-season friendlies began with a 4-2 home win over Annbank, where Gareth Campbell bagged a brace, and a 2-0 defeat away to an Airdrie United XI. After a goal-less draw with St. Cuthbert Wanderers the Glens defeated Troon 3-1, with goals from Paul McKenzie (2) and Gareth Armstrong, to retain the annual pre-season Joe Meldrum Trophy.

Glenafton with the Joe Meldrum Trophy

The Ardagh Sectional Cup matches began with a comfortable 6-1 win at Muirkirk with captain Robbie Henderson topping the goal scoring charts with a pair of headers. The derby match against Cumnock at Townhead ended goal-less. The Glens came close to opening the scoring in the first half but Craig McEwan’s shot crashed off the bar. In the second half Glens Cammy McKinnell was sent off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity but former Glens favourite Chic Connolly blasted the resultant free kick over the bar.

A close call at Cumnock


The Glens completed the Ardagh Sectional Cup matches in style with three consecutive wins to top the section. Lugar Boswell Thistle (4-0) and Kello Rovers (3-1) were both defeated at Loch Park but it was the game sandwiched between these two that caught the eye, the 4-1 taming of the Talbot at Beechwood. Young Lewis Sloan, who proved to be a thorn in the Talbot’s side all match opened the scoring in 12 minutes and Craig McEwan doubled the visitors advantage two minutes later. The home side halved the deficit 10 minutes from the break when with Robbie Henderson off receiving treatment, David Gillies headed home from close range. Unruffled the Glens restored the two goal cushion when Gareth Armstrong bulleted home a header on 41 minutes from 8 yards out. Midway through the second half the striker lashed a 25 yard free-kick into the Tabot’s top corner to end the scoring and to the cries of EEKA PEEKA PUKA BO!

The Glens got off to an extraordinary start at Renfrew. The visitors took the lead through an own goal but were then reduced to 10 men after a Craig McEwan trip in the box only for Ally Semple saved the resultant spot kick.  A Gareth Armstrong header put the 10 men two up, however before the break Frew were back on level terms and the Glens down to 9 men following the dismissal of Gareth Campbell. In the opening minute of the second half Cammy McKinnel headed the Glens ahead again and the visitors to a man held firm for the ensuing 44 minutes and Frew’s misery compounded when they were reduced to 10 men in injury time.

Girvan took the lead at Loch Park in the Ardagh Sectional Cup Quarter Final only for the Glens to draw level through a stunning free kick from Gareth Armstrong. The Seasiders however came out on top in the penalty shoot-out only to lose out to eventual cup winner Talbot in the semi-final.

Kris Mitchell with Graeme Barbour at Dalry

The first home league match of the season ended in a frustrating 2-2 draw with Whitletts. Paul McKenzie put the Glens ahead early in the second half but the visiting Vics survived a period of intense pressure before hitting back twice to take the lead before Jim Wilson headed home an equaliser. Darren Henderson enjoyed a winning return to Merksworth Park as the Glens proved too strong for Dalry Thistle. Goals from Lewis Sloan (2) and Gareth Armstrong put the visitors 3-0 up at the break. Richie McKillen made it 4-0 before former Glens striker Graeme Barbour fired home a free kick for a late consolation goal. The three points saw the Glens climb to second place in the league two points behind leaders Ardrossan Winton Rovers sitting atop with a 100% record.

This entry was posted in GAFC Feature and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.