Ardrossan 3 Glenafton 4

Super League 1st Division

Sat 10th September Winton Park, Ardrossan KO 2pm

Glenafton with captain Robbie Henderson and Kris Mitchell unavailable for selection and playmaker Lewis Sloan out through injury made a number of changes from the side that drew at home with Thorniewood last week-end. In came Cammy McKinnell and Craig Menzies at the centre of defence while Gareth Campbell returned from suspension to join Gareth Armstrong and recent signing Ian Cashmore in a forward-thinking formation in more ways than one, as the Glens looked to do what others had not managed thus far – take a point of more from league leaders Ardrossan Winton Rovers.

Bo bagged a brace

Despite a lively start from the visitors the home side quickly served noticed  of their intent to maintain their 100% league record when in five minutes a fine passage of flowing football ended with Graham Muir’s shot being deflected past keeper Ally Semple. Ten minutes later and the Glens pressure caused panic in the Winton box forcing defender to haul down attacker and up stepped Gareth Armstrong to level matters from the penalty spot. Play ebbed back and forth like the Arran ferry, only a wee bit quicker, as both sides seemed determined not to settle for a share of the points. On 34 minutes Winton restored their lead with another clinical finish to an excellent move, Graeme Hamilton heading home from close range an Andy Boyle cross from the dead-ball line. A minute from the break and the teams were level again. The visitors were awarded a free-kick some 30 yards from goal and Gareth Armstrong, not for the first time this season, rifled an unstoppable shot into the back of the net. With the home guard looking vulnerable Glens continued to push forward and won another penalty on the stroke of half-time. Gareth Campbell’s spot-kick crashed off the post and his attempt to head the rebound home struck the other post; of course the goal would not have stood if the rebound had found the net, the ball bot having been played by an opponent. H/T Ardrossan 2 Glens 2

A Southy Scorcher

Four first half goals were soon joined by the first of the second period and what a goal too. More picture book than text book passing as the Glens moved the ball swiftly and sweetly about their mesmerised opponents, who were quickly brought of their trance by the away roars of appreciation as Craig McEwan raced into the Rovers’ box and blasted the ball into the rigging beyond keeper Kenny Pollock. A special goal from Southy in a sombre week for family and friends. Having taken the lead for the first time in the match the visitors looked in determined mood not to relinquish it and indeed seemed the more likely of the two sides to add to their tally, the contribution of Ian Cashmore particularly noteworthy.

Cashy opens his account

Midway through the half Paul McKenzie flew down the left flank and as he burst into the box he was hauled down without ceremony to earn Glenafton their third penalty of the match. Ian Cashmore, took on the mantle of penalty taker – also the third of the match – and gave Pollock no chance, as he doubled the Glens lead. Minutes later McEwan rampaged into the Rovers box and melted one of the metalwork as the Glens domination continued unabated.

The visitors made good use of substitutions with Steven Greenlees, Ryan McChesney and Jim Wilson providing the fresh legs and helping to break up any fluidity in the home side’s play.  However deep into injury time the tricky Stephen Reid reduced the leeway but there was no time left for a Rover’s return and Glenafton deservedly headed south with all three points. F/T Ardrossan 3 Glens 4

Glenafton: Semple; McEwan, Menzies, McKinnell, McKillen; McKenzie, Bell, Potter, Campell; Armstrong, Cashmore. Subs used Greenlees, McChesney, Wilson

Siney’s video clips of the 1st half goals

AWR 1-0  Glens 1-1 AWR 2-1  Glens 2-2

Other Score: Dalry 3 Shott 2, Kilsyth 3 Renfrew 4, Lanark 0 Girvan 1, Rutherglen 3 East Kilbride 4, Thorniewood 3 Cumbernauld 2, Whitletts 3 Hurlford 2.

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.