Glenafton 4 Dalry 1

West Region Super League 1st Division

Sat 25th February , Loch Park, New Cumnock, KO 2:00pm



It seemed an ice-age ago since Dalry and Glenafton last met on a lush sun-bathed Merksworth Park back in August when the visitors overpowered their hosts to return with all three points following a 4-1 score-line in their favour. Although today’s contest ended with the same outcome the Glens had to dig deep to see off a dogged Dalry, reduced to 10 men early in the first half.

Glenafton’s  starting eleven contained no fewer than three former Dalry players – Craig Potter, Cammy Menzies and Andy Bell while in the visitors ranks were former Glenafton players striker Graeme Barbour and midfield Darren McMahon, a recent signing from Whitletts Victoria.

Ian Cashmore

With John Dempster injured and JP Boyle unavailable for selection Ian Cashmore partnered Gareth Campbell up front and the pair combined to put Glenafton ahead after 7 minutes. Menzies headed clear a Dalry free-kick and the loose ball was gathered by Gus Cochrane who released Campbell down the right and after beating Callum Davidson to the ball he tore down the wing to cross for Cashmore who picked his spot with a well-placed header, giving keeper Ross Stewart no chance. The home side struggled to capitalise on their early lead as the game, played at a frantic pace with no quarter given, failed to yield chances of any real quality. With 20 minutes gone tempers got the better of a number of players from either side and as the stoor settled Graeme Barbour was shown red and Ian Cashmore yellow, to the bemusement of their respective set of supporters.

The visitors’ 10 men were on the back foot for a spell as Paul McKenzie began to open up play and carve out chances for the hosts, the best ended with him cutting the ball back to Paul Murphy who rattled the Dalry crossbar with a thunderous drive. However, with 7 minutes of the half remaining Dalry drew level after a quickly taken free kick was launched from the half-way line and the ball killed brilliantly by Ian Reid before he turned and drilled it into the corner of the net from the edge of the box. H/T Glens 1 Dalry 1

Glenafton began the second half in determined fashion and Campbell had a goal chalked off in the opening minutes and later went close with a header. On the hour mark Murphy split open the Dalry defence with a slide rule pass to his former Stranraer team-mate Gus Cochrane  who delayed his run to beat the offside trap before drawing the keeper and slotting the ball home to restore the home side’s lead.  There was to be no slacking off from Glenafton and five minutes later Richie McKillen thundered a free-kick from the edge of the box off the face of the cross bar. Stewart then denied Campbell blocking shot but could do little to prevent Paul Murphy heading home a peach of a cross from Bell on 67 minutes, to double the Glens’ advantage.

Gareth Campbell

Dalry continued to dig in but Gareth Campbell finally got the goal his performance deserved. Substitute Gareth Armstrong gathered a throw in on the half way line and lobbed the ball over the Dalry defence for Murphy to give chase and although his shot from the edge of the box cannoned off the keeper’s chase Campbell had matched his run and was on hand to head the ball into the empty net for Glenafton’s fourth. F/T Glens 4 Dalry 1

Glenafton Athletic: Semple  Potter  Henderson  Menzies  McKillen  McKenzie Murphy   Cochrane  Bell Campbell  Cashmore  subs  Armstrong  McChesney  Dempster  Dunsmuir (gk)

Dalry Thistle:  Stewart  Pearce  Davidson  Mulgrew  Russell  Holden  Patterson  McMahon  Barbour Gilhooley  Reid  subs  McKenna  McDonald  Lynn  McCormack  McIntosh  Lockhart McGee (gk)

Siney’s Video Highlights

Glens Goal 1  Dalry Goal 1  Glens Goal 2 Glens Goal 3 Glens goal 4

1st half highlights  2nd half highlights

This entry was posted in GAFC Match Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.